Understanding girl bullying and what to do about it : strategies to help heal the divide
- Julaine E. Field ... [et al.].
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xii, 133 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB3013.32 .U63 2009
- Unknown LB3013.32 .U63 2009
- Field, Julaine E.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 119-126) and index.
- List of Tables and Figures Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. Understanding Relational and Social Aggression Definitions of Relational and Social Aggression Cyberbullying Why Use Relational and Social Aggression? Evolutionary Psychology Systemic (Social and Cultural) Influences Social Learning Theory Developmental Perspective What Does It Feel Like to Be in a Relationally and Socially Aggressive Climate? Rules of Engagement Conclusion 2. Measuring Relational and Social Aggression Sociometric Procedures Questionnaires and Surveys Teacher Rating Scales and Reports Parent Reports Student Self-Reports Interview Strategies Focus Groups Observations Ethical Considerations in Assessment Conclusion 3. School-Based Interventions Factors in Selecting Interventions Primary Prevention Programs: Support for Child Development Secondary Intervention Programs: Schoolwide Support Tertiary Prevention Programs: Targeted Interventions for Students Conclusion 4. Strategies for Working With Parents and Teachers Working With Parents of Relationally Aggressive Girls Using Enactments With Parents of Relationally Aggressive Girls Working with Parents of Relationally Victimized Girls Using Enactments with Parents of Relationally Victimized Girls Consulting With Teachers Consulting With Teachers in Working With Girls Who Use Relational Aggression Consulting With Teachers in Helping Relationally Victimized Girls Conclusion 5. Goodwill Girls: A Small-Group Curriculum Using Group Counseling With Victims and Perpetrators The Goodwill Girls Small-Group Curriculum Conclusion Appendix: Handouts for Goodwill Girls Small-Group Curriculum References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Girl bullying, also called relational aggression is a very real and pervasive problem in schools. Studies show that bullying is as common in girls as it is in boys, but that it can be more covert and thus more difficult for school professionals to detect and address. This book covers the causes and characteristics of relational aggression and outlines assessment, prevention, and intervention methods for counselors, administrators, teachers, and parents. Included are sample forms and checklists that educators can use to document and address bullying for both the perpetrator and the victim. This resource blends academic, empirical, and practical perspectives to answer the questions of: what girl bullying is? Why it happens? What it looks like? How to measure it? How to help girls deal with incidents?
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 1412964873 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412964876 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412964881 (paper : alk. paper)
- 9781412964883 (paper : alk. paper)