8 steps to classroom management success : a guide for teachers of challenging students
- George Kapalka.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 170 p. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3013 .K325 2009||Unknown|
- Kapalka, George M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-170).
- Foreword by Margaret Alvarez, PsyD, MSCP, MS IV Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction: Why Do Students Misbehave? Prologue: Prepare Yourself Step 1: Give Effective Single-Action Commands Step 2: Give Effective Warnings Step 3: Handle Flare-Ups and Tantrums Step 4: Construct a Behavioral Contract Step 5: Manage Transitions Step 6: Discourage Interruptions Step 7: Improve Behaviors in Out-of-Class Settings Step 8: Develop an Effective Homework Routine Conclusion: Maximize the Improvement With Additional Techniques References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412969437 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This may work with the majority of my students, but what about those who have more significant behavioral issues?' Although few in number, students with more challenging behavioral issues cause the most disruptions and require a significant amount of the teacher's time. Based on sound psychological principles and backed by more than 10 years of empirical, scientific evidence, this resource provides teachers in general and special education settings with strategies and techniques as well as an eight-step plan for responding to challenging behaviors: giving simple, effective instructions and commands; using appropriate warnings; handling tantrums and outbursts; creating a behavioral contract; managing transitions; preventing disruptions; improving behavior outside the classroom; and, developing effective homework routines. The book provides many practical examples and vignettes and addresses possible problems that teachers may encounter while administering the interventions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412969444 20160528
- This book offers a step-by-step approach to managing your challenging students! An effective classroom management plan will help teachers engage most of their students, but every classroom has one or two students with more challenging behavioural issues that often require a significant amount of an educator's time. This jargon-free, easy-to-read book guides teachers through the process of helping these students become positive, contributing learners. Based on sound psychological principles and more than 10 years of empirical evidence, this resource provides general and special education teachers with an eight-step plan for responding to challenging behaviours, including: giving simple instructions; using appropriate warnings; handling tantrums; creating behavioural contracts; managing transitions; preventing disruptions; improving behaviour outside the classroom; and, developing effective homework routines. Filled with suggestions for adapting each of the steps and practical examples that illustrate potential problems that may arise during the interventions, "8 Steps to Classroom Management Success" offers a coherent system for creating a positive learning environment for all students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412969437 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Eight steps to classroom management success
- 1412969433 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412969437 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412969441 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412969444 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: