8 steps to classroom management success : a guide for teachers of challenging students
- George Kapalka.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 170 p. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB3013 .K325 2009
- Unknown LB3013 .K325 2009
- Kapalka, George M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-170).
- Foreword by Margaret Alvarez, PsyD, MSCP, MS IV Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction: Why Do Students Misbehave? Prologue: Prepare Yourself Step 1: Give Effective Single-Action Commands Step 2: Give Effective Warnings Step 3: Handle Flare-Ups and Tantrums Step 4: Construct a Behavioral Contract Step 5: Manage Transitions Step 6: Discourage Interruptions Step 7: Improve Behaviors in Out-of-Class Settings Step 8: Develop an Effective Homework Routine Conclusion: Maximize the Improvement With Additional Techniques References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This may work with the majority of my students, but what about those who have more significant behavioral issues?' Although few in number, students with more challenging behavioral issues cause the most disruptions and require a significant amount of the teacher's time. Based on sound psychological principles and backed by more than 10 years of empirical, scientific evidence, this resource provides teachers in general and special education settings with strategies and techniques as well as an eight-step plan for responding to challenging behaviors: giving simple, effective instructions and commands; using appropriate warnings; handling tantrums and outbursts; creating a behavioral contract; managing transitions; preventing disruptions; improving behavior outside the classroom; and, developing effective homework routines. The book provides many practical examples and vignettes and addresses possible problems that teachers may encounter while administering the interventions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Eight steps to classroom management success
- 1412969433 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412969437 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412969441 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412969444 (pbk. : alk. paper)