- Robin Fogarty.
- 3rd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 227 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1590.3 .F62 2009||Unknown|
- Fogarty, Robin.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 204-215) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction Part I. Physiology and Brain Science 1. Brain Science The Brain Is the Universe Within How to Be a Critical Consumer of Research on the Brain and Learning Just the Facts! What Are the Facts About the Brain? Macroview: A Look at the Exterior of the Human Brain Geography of the Human Brain (Topography) Three Views of the Brain Top-to-Bottom View Front-to-Back View Left-to-Right View How Has the Brain Evolved? Microview: A Look at the Interior of the Human Brain Brain Imaging: How We Know What We Know How the Brain Works Neurotransmitters Differences Between Males and Females Part II. Principles For Teaching and Learning 2. Principles of the Brain and Learning The Bridge Between Brain Science and Cognitive Science The Brain Principles and the Four-Corner Framework Twelve Brain Principles of Caine and Caine 1. Learning Is Enhanced by Challenge and Inhibited by Threat 2. Emotions Are Critical to Patterning 3. Learning Involves Both Focused Attention and Peripheral Perception 4. The Brain Has a Spatial Memory System and a Set of Systems for Rote Learning 5. The Brain Processes Parts and Wholes Simultaneously 6. Learning Engages the Entire Physiology 7. The Brain Is a Parallel Processor 8. Learning Is Embedded in Natural and Social Settings 9. Each Brain Is Unique 10. The Search for Meaning Is Innate 11. The Search for Meaning Occurs Through Patterning 12. Learning Always Involves Conscious and Unconscious Processes It's All About Learning 3. Cognitive Science: The Brain Is on My Mind Brain Science and Cognitive Science Nature Versus Nurture (Heredity Versus Environment) Enriched Environments Intelligence as a Function of Experience Windows of Opportunity Nutrition-Cognition Connection Care and Feeding of the Brain Abuses and Addictions New Conclusions Emotions and the Intellect Safe Climate Threat Challenge The Brain and the Mind Brain Versus Mind Theories of the Intellect General Intelligence Theory: Spearman Theory of Cognitive Modifiability: Feuerstein Theory of Multiple Intelligences: Gardner Successful Intelligence: Sternberg Learnable Intelligence: Perkins Intelligent Behaviors or Habits of Mind: Costa and Kallick Emotional Intelligence: Goleman Moral Intelligence: Coles Memory, Learning, and the Human Brain Memory Metaphor It's on My Screen It's on My Desktop It's on My Menu It's on My Hard Drive Types of Memory Systems Short-Term Memory Long-Term Memory Episodic, Procedural, Conditional, and Emotional Memory Memory Lane: Semantic, Episodic, Emotional, Procedural, and Automatic Declarative (Explicity) and Procedural (Implicit) Memory Learning Through Patterns and Chunking It's All About Teaching Part III. Brain-Friendly Strategies 4. Strategies for Brain-Compatible Classrooms The Four-Corner Framework Brain-Compatible Classroom Teaching FOR Thinking: Setting the Climate Research Base - Physiology, Emotions, Environment Principles of Brain-Compatible Learning Implications for Learning Implications for Teaching: Satisfactory Teaching OF Thinking: Instructing Skills and Standards of Learning Research Base - Brain, Mind, Intellect Principles of Brain-Compatible Learning Implications for Learning Implications for Teaching: Good Teaching WITH Thinking: Structuring Interactions Research Base - Active Learning/Constructivist Principles of Brain-Compatible Learning Implications for Learning Implications for Teaching: Excellent Teaching ABOUT Thinking: Reflecting Metacognitively Research Base - Deep Understanding/Transfer Principles of Brain-Compatible Learning Implications for Learning Implications for Teaching: Superior Definition and Description of Brain-Compatible Classrooms Research on Teacher Quality What Teachers Say What Experts Say What Kids Say A Framework for Quality Revisited 5. Setting the Climate for Thinking Brainwave #1: Emotions - Goleman/LeDeux/Coles Braindrops: Strategies Threat Alerts the Body Challenge Engages the Intellect Brainworks: Activities People Search Fat/Skinny Questions The Human Graph Brainwave #2: Enriched Environment - Diamond/Conyers and Wilson Brainstorms: Application Braindrops: Strategies Organizational Enrichments Sensory Enrichments Brainworks: Activities Four Corners Brainstorms: Application 6. Teaching the Skills of Thinking Brainwave #3: Microskills and Macroskills - Marzano/McTighe Braindrops: Strategies Microskills Macroskills Brainworks: Activities Microskill Lesson - Analysis for Bias Macroskill Lesson - Problem Solving Brainstorms: Applications Brainwave #4: Development of Skills and Concepts - Posner and Keele/Csikszentmihalyi Braindrops: Strategies Basic/Apprentice Advanced/Master Brainworks: Activities Basic/Apprentice Advanced/Master Brainstorms: Applications 7. Structuring the Interaction With Thinking Brainwave #5: Active Learning - Vygotsky/Ausbel Braindrops: Strategies Teacher Decisions for Cooperative Groups BUILD Components/Cooperative Strategies Graphic Organizers Brainworks: Activities Dealing With Paradox Brainstorms: Application Brainwave #6: Experiential Learning Braindops: Strategies Multiple Intelligences Integrated Curriculum Brainworks: Activities Curriculum Corners Brainstorms: Applications 8. Thinking About Thinking Brainwave #7: Reflection Braindrops: Strategies Making Meaning Transfer of Learning Brainworks: Activities Transfer Tales Brainstorms: Applications Brainwave #8: Assessment Braindrops: Strategies Traditional Assessments Dynamic Assessments Brainworks: Activities Folk Portfolio Brainstorms: Application Appendix A: Suggested Videos to Illustrate the Four-Corner Framework Appendix B: The Brain Glossary References and Suggested Readings Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In this new edition of the bestseller on brain-compatible learning, author Robin Fogarty synthesizes new research and addresses the role of standards in the brain-compatible classroom. This valuable resource provides the bridge from research to practice for teachers who want to use the latest findings to create high-achievement classrooms. "Brain-Compatible Classrooms" shares key brain research and its implications for curriculum, instruction, and assessment in the K-college classroom. This innovative, user-friendly book provides insight for linking classroom practice with brain research, Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences theory, Daniel Goleman's emotional intelligence theory, direct instruction of skills, graphic organizers, reflection, transfer, assessment, and other interactive, brain-compatible strategies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412938860 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412938864 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412938877 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412938872 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: