Bringing community to the adult ESL classroom
- Clarena Larrotta, Ann K. Brooks, editors.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, c2009.
- Physical description
- 83 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- New directions for adult and continuing education no. 121.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PE1128 .A2 B684 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Using the concept of community building as a framework, this volume summarizes and updates readers on the state of adult English as a second language (ESL) education in the United States. It provides a complete description of this population of learners and their learning needs. The various chapters discuss possibilities for community building in the adult ESL classroom, combining research, theory, and practice. Community building is not a new topic; we often discuss it informally with our colleagues and students. However, scant written material exists-with a focus on adult ESL-documenting how it happens or reconciling theory with practitioners' experiences. In this volume, several practitioners and researchers explain the ways in which they use community-building principles in adult ESL settings. The authors' descriptions of applications of community-building principles can help other adult educators implement these ideas in their teaching practice. This is the 121st volume of the "Jossey-Bass" quarterly report series "New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education". Noted for its depth of coverage, "New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education" is an indispensable series that explores issues of common interest to instructors, administrators, counselors, and policymakers in a broad range of adult and continuing education settings, such as colleges and universities, extension programs, businesses, libraries, and museums.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470479551 20160528
- Publication date
- New directions for adult and continuing education, 1052-2891 ; no. 121
- "Spring 2009."
- 9780470479551 (pbk.)
- 0470479558 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: