The qualitative dissertation : a guide for students and faculty
- Piantanida, Maria.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 301 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
LB2369 .P48 2009
- Unknown LB2369 .P48 2009
- Garman, Noreen B.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 274-298) and index.
- Foreword by Frances Schoonmaker Preface to the Second Edition Acknowledgments About the Authors Part I. Facing the Dissertation Journey 1. Coming to Study 2. On the Deliberative Nature of the Dissertation 3. Meanings of the Dissertation 4. Facing the Dissertation Part II. Preparing for the Dissertation Journey 5. Orienting Oneself to Interpretive Inquiry 6. Situating Oneself in the Inquiry 7. Rethinking the Concept of Method 8. Rethinking the Concept of Data 9. Moving From the Experiential to the Theoretic Part III. Entering Into and Living Through the Dissertation Journey 10. Developing Ideas for the Dissertation Proposal 11. Crafting an Interpretive Dissertation Proposal 12. Proposing the Dissertation Study 13. Living With the Study 14. Entering Into Public Discourse: The Dissertation Meeting 15. Life After the Dissertation Afterword Part IV. Case Examples of Interpretive Dissertations Case Example 1. Problematizing Educational Inclusion: A Practice-Based Heuristic Inquiry Case Example 2. Pictures in Our Minds: A Narrative Study of the Incorporation of Creative Dramatics as Pedagogy in Elementary Classroom Content Areas Case Example 3. A Narrative Study of Three Levels of Reflection in a College Composition Class: Teacher Journal, Student Portfolios, Teacher-Student Discourse Case Example 4. Promises Made, Promises Broken: A Literary Criticism of the Pennsylvania Lead Teacher Experience Case Example 5. Our Changing Town, Our Changing School: Is Common Ground Possible? Case Example 6. A Special Program for Gifted Female Adolescents: A Conceptual Case Study for Planning Curriculum References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Written primarily for doctoral students in education and related fields, the purpose of this book is to assist practitioner-scholars in crafting and conducting a qualitative dissertation by using practical issues to help them understand what it means to do a dissertation and what it means to do qualitative research. Rather than an instruction manual on qualitative research methods or a recipe, formula, or template for preparing dissertation-related documents (e.g., proposal, final report), this book guides students through the issues and questions that arise as students struggle to learn about qualitative dissertation research. Comprehensive, it guides the student through the process of preparing for the dissertation journey, rethinking the concepts of method and data, working through the proposal process, defending the dissertation, and living life after the dissertation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Maria Piantanida, Noreen B. Garman ; foreword by Frances Schoonmaker.
- 9781412951074 (cloth : acid-free paper)
- 1412951070 (cloth : acid-free paper)
- 9781412951081 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1412951089 (pbk. : acid-free paper)