Getting it right from the start : the principal's guide to early childhood education
- Marjorie J. Kostelnik, Marilyn L. Grady.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; [Alexandria, VA] : National Association of Elementary School Principals, c2009.
- Physical description
- xi, 331 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139.23 .K675 2009||Unknown|
- Kostelnik, Marjorie J.
- Grady, Marilyn L.
- National Association of Elementary School Principals (U.S.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 312-322) and index.
- Preface About the Authors 1. Early Childhood Education: An Expanding Enterprise! Increasing Family Demand Early Learning Imperatives Children at Risk of School Failure Reducing the Achievement Gap: Starting Early Early Childhood Education: A Sound Investment Principals' Roles: Laying the Groundwork 2. Quality Makes ALL the Difference The Corrosive Impact of Poor Quality High-Quality Defined Leadership and High Quality Becoming an Early Childhood Leader Principals' Roles: Achieving High Quality 3. Breaking New Ground: Getting Involved in Early Childhood Education What Exactly Is Early Childhood Education? Becoming Familiar With Early Childhood Culture School Principals as Culture Brokers Principals' Roles: Getting Involved in Early Childhood Education 4. Early Childhood Education: Stakeholders Identifying the Stakeholder Collaboration Give Voice to Stakeholders Actions and Considerations Principals' Roles: Working With Stakeholders 5. Developmentally Appropriate Practice Fundamental Principles of DAP Developmentally Inappropriate Practice (DIP) Applying DAP Requires Judgment The Sounds of DAP! Empirical Support for DAP Common Questions About DAP Principals' Roles: Supporting DAP 6. The Principal's Guide to How Young Children Develop and Learn The Essential Nature of Young Children How Young Children Develop How Young Children Learn What Children Are Learning Principals' Roles: Supporting Child Development and Learning 7. Early Childhood Curriculum What Constitutes the Early Childhood Curriculum? 'Goodness of Fit' Between Early Education and Later Schooling Implementing the Early Childhood Curriculum Activities to Look for in Early Childhood Classrooms Principal's Roles: Curriculum 8. Learning Centers & Classroom Routines Typical Learning Centers for Young Children Skills Teachers Need to Run Effective Centers How Classroom Routines Support Curricular Goals A Typical Day for Children Principals' Roles: Centers and Routines 9. Early Childhood Assessment Key Considerations Authentic Assessment Strategies to Guide Learning and Improve Instruction Strategies for Identifying Children's Special Needs Assessing Early Childhood Programs and Learning Contexts Pros and Cons of Standardized Assessment The Principals' Roles: Promoting Authentic Assessment 10. Early Childhood Education: Family Involvement Through the Eyes of the Families Looking Inside and Looking Outside Suggestions for Families Through the Eyes of Teachers Parents Want Communication With the School Family Roles Principals' Roles: Family Involvement 11. Early Childhood Teachers Teachers Matter The Critical Function of Principals Characteristics of 'Good' Teachers Formal Teacher Qualifications Translating Teacher Standards Into Practice Principals' Roles: Supporting Early Childhood Teachers 12. Finding and Keeping Good Teachers Shortage of Qualified Early Childhood Teachers Looking for Teachers to Support Diverse Children and Families Reducing Staff Turnover Principals' Roles: Hiring and Retaining Good Teachers 13. Physical Environments That Support Early Learning Environmental Propositions How Physical Environments Influence Child Development and Learning Fundamentals of Environmental Planning Physical Requirements of Activity-Based Instruction Equipping Early Childhood Classrooms The Great Outdoors! Principals' Roles: Creating Optimal Early Learning Environments 14. Early Childhood Education: Funding Funding Sources History of Federal Funding State Funding Local Funding Start-Up Costs Administrator Voices Principals' Roles: Funding 15. Action Summary Tool A. Learning Center Checklist Tool B. Key Instruments Used Nationally for Evaluation of Children in ECE Programs Tool C. Daily Literacy Checklist P3 Tool D. Daily Numeracy Checklist P3 Tool E. Guidelines for Structuring Informative On-Site Observations Tool F. Sample Interview Questions for Teacher Candidates Tool G. Early Childhood Safety & Health Checklist Tool H. Physical Requirements of Small Group Activity Centers Tool I. ECE Classroom Equipment List Tool J. Indoor Environment Checklist References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412949507 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- 'In one relatively small volume, the authors have organized information on just about everything a school leader needs to get a well-designed program off the ground and make sure it will get better as time goes on' - Harriet A. Egertson, Early Childhood Consultant Early Childhood Assessment Consortium, Council of Chief State School Officers. Prepare our youngest students for future learning success with effective ECE programs! To ensure that young children are ready to enter kindergarten, elementary schools are becoming increasingly involved in early childhood education (ECE), and more and more principals have to deal with ECE issues. Now this practical manual shows principals what successful ECE programs look like - and how to achieve quality results in their schools and communities. The authors provide an inside view of the field, touching on key areas of operation and discussing ways to avoid common pitfalls. Blending research-based content with practical applications, this accessible guide helps principals and other administrators: gain a foundational understanding of how very young children learn; create quality environments and practices for teaching early learners; provide the kind of feedback staff need to improve; work successfully with ECE agencies and providers; and, easily implement the strategies outlined using reproducible forms, templates, and checklists. This comprehensive resource presents the information principals need to become key players in educating our nation's youngest learners!.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412949507 20160528
- Publication date
- 1412949491 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412949491 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412949505 (paper : alk. paper)
- 9781412949507 (paper : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: