Ready for the classroom? : preparing reading teachers with authentic assessments
- Newark, DE : International Reading Association, c2009.
- Physical description
- ix, 188 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1573 .R296 2009
- Unknown LB1573 .R296 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 157-178) and index.
- Learning about and assessing standard 1: foundational knowledge
- Learning about and assessing standard 2: instructional strategies and curriculum materials
- Learning about and assessing standard 3: assessment, diagnosis, and evaluation
- Learning about and assessing standard 4: creating a literate environment
- Learning about and assessing standard 5: professional development
- Appendix: Standards-based rubrics.
- Publisher's Summary
- Today's focus on teacher quality challenges institutions of higher education to meet performance standards in a way that demonstrates that education candidates have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to teach effectively so that all children learn. Here is a vital resource that provides much needed assessment tools to help teacher educators get a complete picture of candidates' learning. Using IRA's "Standards for Reading Professionals, Revised 2003" as evaluative criteria, the cases and rubrics in this text can foster the use of high-level, critical thinking skills among candidates by having them suggest what should be done for each case and why, basing their responses on theory, experience, or research. You'll be able to use these tools to assess candidates' understanding and application of course materials and to show how teaching and K - 12 performance standards are met using real-life applications.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Mary A. Avalos ... [et al.].
- 9780872074682 (paper)
- 0872074684 (paper)