Education and inequality across Europe
- edited by Peter Dolton, Rita Asplund, Erling Barth.
- Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, c2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 350 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC212.3 .E9 E38 2009
- Unknown LC212.3 .E9 E38 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Preface 1. Education, Wage Inequality and the Labour Market Peter Dolton, Rita Asplund and Erling Barth 2. Education and Income Inequality: A Macroeconomic Perspective Rita Asplund 3. School Quality and Educational Outcomes in Europe Andreas Ammermuller and Charlotte Lauer 4. Overeducation Across Europe Peter Dolton and Oscar Marcenaro-Gutierrez 5. Inequality in Access to and Finance of Tertiary Education Rita Asplund, Oussama Ben Abdelkarim and Ali Skalli 6. Earnings Inequality in Europe: Structure and Patterns of Intertemporal Changes Ioannis Cholezas and Panos Tsakloglou 7. Education and Wage Dispersion: New Evidence for Europe Santiago Budria and Pedro Telhado Pereira 8. Within-group Wage Inequality and the Expansion of Tertiary Education Erling Barth 9. Gender Wage Differentials in Europe Peter Dolton, Oscar Marcenaro-Gutierrez and Ali Skalli 10. The Economic Effects of Demographic and Educational Change: Empirical Evidence and Policy Implications Claudio Lucifora 11. Intergenerational Income Mobility in a Comparative Perspective Jo Blanden 12. A Multi-country Study of Inter-generational Educational Mobility Arnaud Chevalier, Kevin Denny and Dorren McMahon 13. Education and Preferences for Income Redistribution in a Cross-Section of Countries Christopher Crowe 14. Job and Life Satisfaction Inequalities in Europe Peter Dolton, Joseph Lanfranchi and Ali Skalli.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The relationship between education and income inequality is of fundamental importance. In this book, an international group of renowned contributors focus on patterns of inequality and their relationship to education using recent data from European countries. The fresh and unique research deals with important topics such as: wage and education inequality, differences in earnings related to gender, the role of labor market institutions, demographic and cohort effects on inequality, intergenerational education and income mobility, the extent of 'over education' and job and life satisfaction inequality. The wealth of new empirical evidence presented will make this book an invaluable resource for labor and education economists, educationalists, policy-makers and academics interested in the distribution of income, inequality and education within the fields of sociology and public policy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 1847205887 (hbk.)
- 9781847205889 (hbk.)