Inspiring student writers : strategies and examples for teachers
- Charlotte, NC : Information Age Pub., c2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 189 p. ; 25 cm.
- Language, literacy, and learning.
LB1576 .I868 2009
- Unknown LB1576 .I868 2009
- Scheft, Tom.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Acknowledgments. Foreword, Clyde Edgerton. Preface, Tom Scheft. Working With Student Writers, Tom Scheft. Autobiography in Teacher Preparation: The Internally Persuasive Discourse That Speaks With Authority, Sandy A. Vavra. The Autobiographical, Reflective Assignment, Tom Scheft. Teacher as Secret Agent, Muri Pugh. Gratitude, Generosity, and Community, Jennifer Lombard. Confronting the Fear Within, Laura Will. Teacher as Scientist, Teacher as Artist, Amanda Albert. Reflections on Langston Hughes' "Mother to Son", Casey Collins, Carron Carter, and Melissa Davis. In the Blood, Joshua Knight. The Black Teacher, Marshella Reid. Dealing With Death, Sloane Akos. A Renewed Sense of Life, Jayne Dorfman. The Power of Imagination, Taheera Blount. Flying Lessons, Amanda Riley Smith. The Power of Unconditional Love, Elwood Robinson. Testing the Sleeping Giant, Pamela George. APPENDIX. Confronting Stereotyping: Understanding Why We Do It, Considering What to Do About It, Tom Scheft. Helping Student Writers understand and Deal With Rejection, Tom Scheft. Dealing With Dialect Differences: Honest Concerns and Practical Approaches, Tom Scheft. About the Editor.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A volume in Literacy, Language, and Learning Series Editor Patricia Ruggiano Schmidt, Le Moyne College Okay, wait a minute. Does that title mean students need to be inspired ...or they can be inspiring writers? How about both. Getting our students to write and write well is a process Tom Scheft explains and explores- offering practical and theoretical guidance, while providing uplifting, thought provoking examples of a writing assignment for students middle grades through master's level. An invaluable supplemental text for teacher education programs and in-service programs, Scheft mines his experience working with student writers in public schools and universities. He also covers / the research-backed case for autobiographical, reflective writing, / helping student writers understand and deal with rejection, and / honest, practical strategies for dealing with dialect differences. Professors, English teachers, and students: This book will help enhance writing through time-tested, user-friendly strategies and powerful examples.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Tom Scheft.
- Literacy, language, and learning
- 9781607520382 (hbk.)
- 1607520389 (hbk.)
- 9781607520375 (pbk.)
- 1607520370 (pbk.)