Children and play
- Peter K. Smith ; with a chapter by Yumi Gosso.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 256 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Understanding children's worlds.
Education Library (Cubberley)
BF717 .S56 2010
- Unknown BF717 .S56 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -246) and indexes.
- Introduction. History and theories of play. Animal Play - description. Animal play - theories. Play in different cultures. Physical activity play: exercise play and rough-and-tumble. Object play. Pretend play: description. Pretend play: theories and functions. Practical issues regarding play. Concluding comments.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The role of play in child development is a source of ongoing interest and debate. In this book, renowned expert Peter Smith offers an expansive definition of the term 'play', taking an in-depth look at its impact on children, as well as its adaptive value for birds and mammals, including primates. Using both contemporary and classic research, Smith examines how different age groups and sexes participate in a wide variety of play, including exercise and rough-and-tumble play, fantasy play and imaginary friends, and play with objects. The book gauges the function of play in early childhood education and makes the case for and against recess breaks in school. How play occurs in different societies and among various populations - including children with special needs - is also explored. With its comprehensive coverage of theoretical, historical, cross-cultural, and evolutionary perspectives, "Children and Play" holds significant insights for parents, educators, and clinicians. Peter K. Smith is Professor of Psychology and Head of the Unit for School and Family Studies at Goldsmiths, University of London. He is co-author of "Understanding Children's Development" and co-editor of the "Blackwell Handbook of Childhood Social Development" and of "The Nature of Play: Great Apes and Humans". He has written widely on children, s play, especially pretend play training, and rough-and-tumble play.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Understanding children's worlds
- 0631235213 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780631235217 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0631235221 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780631235224 (pbk. : alk. paper)