Handbook of developmental social neuroscience
- New York : Guilford Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 558 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 27 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The brain in a social environment : why study development? / Michelle de Haan and Megan R. Gunnar
- Methods in social neuroscience : issues in studying development / Megan R. Gunnar and Michelle de Haan
- Neuroanatomy of the developing social brain / Christa Payne and Jocelyne Bachevalier
- Neural bases of the development of face processing / Olivier Pascalis, David J. Kelly, and Gudrun Schwarzer
- Decoding social signals in the infant brain : a look at eye gaze perception / Tobias Grossmann and Teresa Farroni
- The development and neural bases of processing emotion in faces and voices / Michelle de Haan and Anna Matheson
- The development of social information gathering in infancy : a model of neural substrates and developmental mechanisms / Leslie J. Carver and Lauren Cornew
- Imitation as a stepping stone to empathy / Jean Decety and Meghan Meyer
- Mentalizing and development during adolescence / Suparna Choudhury, Tony Charman, and Sarah-Jayne Blakemore
- Early communicative development and the social brain / Debra Mills and Barbara T. Conboy
- Evolutionary origins of social communication / Makaso Myowa-Yamakoshi and Masaki Tomonaga
- Attachment and the comparative psychobiology of mothering / Andrea Gonzalez, Leslie Atkinson, and Alison S. Fleming
- Neuroendocrine mechanisms of social bonds and child-parent attachment, from the child's perspective / Karen L. Bales and C. Sue Carter
- Neurobiology and hormonal aspects of romantic relationships / Donatella Marazziti
- Animal models of romantic relationships / Joel C. Wommack, Yan Liu, and Zuoxin Wang
- Temperament and affect vulnerability : behavioral, electrocortical, and neuroimaging perspectives / Louis A. Schmidt and Michelle K. Jetha
- Reward systems / Monique Ernst and Linda Patia Spear
- Social relationships as primary rewards : the neurobiology of attachment / Linda C. Mayes ... [et al.]
- A brain-based account of developmental changes in social decision making / Eveline A. Crone and P. Michiel Westenberg
- A social neuroscience approach to adolescent depression / Daniel S. Pine
- The development and neural bases of psychopathy / Robert James Richard Blair, Elizabeth Finger, and Abigail Marsh
- Autism : risk factors, risk processes, and outcome / Geraldine Dawson, Lindsey Sterling, and Susan Faja
- Social and genetic aspects of turner, williams-beuren, and fragile X syndromes / David Skuse and Louise Gallagher
- The effects of early institutionalization on social behavior and underlying neural correlates / Bethany C. Reeb ... [et al.]
- Socioemotional development following early abuse and neglect : challenges and insights from translational research / M. Mar Sanchez and Seth D. Pollak.
- Publisher's Summary
- Recent years have seen an explosion of research into the physiological and neural bases of social behavior. This state-of-the science Handbook is unique in approaching the topic from a developmental perspective. Exploring the dynamic relationship between biology and social behavior from infancy through adolescence, leading investigators discuss key processes in typical and atypical development. Chapters address emotion, motivation, person perception, interpersonal relationships, developmental disorders, and psychopathology. The volume sheds light on how complex social abilities emerge from basic brain circuits, whether there are elements of social behavior that are 'hard wired' in the brain, and the impact of early experiences. Illustrations include 8 color plates.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Michelle de Haan, Megan R. Gunnar.
- 9781606231173 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1606231170 (hardcover : alk. paper)