Culturally responsive mathematics education
- edited by Brian Greer ... [et al.].
- New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 386 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Studies in mathematical thinking and learning.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA13 .C85 2009||Unknown|
- Greer, Brian.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- AcknowledgmentsForeword, Ubiratan D'AmbrosioIntroductionFoundations and Backgrounds1. Culture and the Development of Mathematics: An Historical Perspective, Frank J. Swetz2. New Philosophy of Mathematics: Implications for Mathematics Education, Paul Ernest3. An Ethnomathematical Perspective on Culturally Responsive Mathematics Education, Swapna Mukhopadhyay, Arthur B. Powell and Marilyn Frankenstein4. Seeing With Many Eyes: Connections Between Anthropology and Mathematics, Jim Barta and Mary E. Brenner5. What Mathematics Teachers Need to Know about Culture and Language, Judit Moschkovich and Sharon Nelson-Barber6. The Politics of Mathematics Education in the US: Dominant and Counter Agendas, Eric Gutstein7. Conceptions of Assessment of Mathematical Proficiency and their Implications for Cultural Diversity, Dalton Miller-Jones and Brian GreerTeaching and Learning8. Preparing Culturally Responsive Mathematics Teachers, Geneva Gay9. Mathematics Literacy and Liberation: Reframing Mathematics Education for African American Children, Danny Bernard Martin and Ebony O. McGee10. Culturally Responsive Mathematics Education in the Algebra Project, Robert Moses, Mary Maxwell West and Frank E. Davis11. A Two Way Process for Developing Effective Culturally Based Math: Examples from Math in a Cultural Context, Jerry Lipka, Evelyn Yane, Dora Andrew-Ihrk and Shehenaz Adam12. Native American Analogues to the Cartesian Coordinate System, Ron Eglash13. Privileging Mathematics and Equity in Teacher Education: Framework, Counter-Resistance Strategies and Reflections from a Latina Mathematics Educator, Julia M. Aguirre14. Latina Mothers' Perceptions about the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics: Implications for Parental Participation, Marta Civil and Beatriz Quintos15. Culturally Responsive College Level Mathematics, Mark K. Davis, Shandy Hauk and M. Paul Latiolais.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780805862638 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- At a time of rapid demographic change and amidst the many educational challenges facing the US, this critical new collection presents mathematics education from a culturally responsive perspective. It tackles the most crucial issues of teaching mathematics to an ethnically diverse school population, including the political dimension of mathematics education within the context of governmental efforts to improve achievement in school mathematics. "Culturally Responsive Mathematics Education" moves beyond a point of view that is internal to mathematics education as a discipline, and instead offers a broad perspective of mathematics as a significant, liberating intellectual force in our society. The editors of this volume bring together contributions from many of the leading teachers, teacher educators, researchers, scholars, and activists who have been working to reorient mathematics education in ways that reflect mathematics education as accomplished, first and foremost, through human interactions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780805862638 20160527
- Publication date
- Studies in mathematical thinking and learning
- 9780805862638 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0805862633 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780805862645 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0805862641 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203879948 (ebk.)
- 0203879945 (ebk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: