Piety and plague : from Byzantium to the Baroque
- edited by Franco Mormando, Thomas Worcester.
- Kirksville, Mo. : Truman State University Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xii, 329 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Sixteenth century essays & studies ; v. 78.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The Literature of Plague and the Anxieties of Piety in Sixth-Century Byzantium-- Mice, Arrows & Tumors: Medieval Plague Iconography North of the Alps-- Visualising Death: Medieval Plagues & the Macabre-- The Making of a Plague Saint: Saint Sebastian's Imagery and Cult Before the Counter-Reformation-- Protestants and Plague: The Case of the 1562/63 Pest in Nurnberg-- The Canker Friar: Piety & Intrigue in an Era of New Diseases-- Poussin's The Plague at Ashdod: A Work of Art in Multiple Contexts-- Plague as Spiritual Medicine and Medicine as Spiritual Metaphor: Three Treatises by Etienne Binet, S J (1569-1639)-- Pestilence, Apostasy, and Heresy in Seventeenth-Century Rome: Deciphering Michael Sweerts's Plague in an Ancient City-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781931112734 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Plague was one of the enduring facts of everyday life on the European continent, from earliest antiquity through the first decades of the eighteenth century. It represents one of the most important influences on the development of Europe's society and culture. In order to understand the changing circumstances of the political, economic, ecclesiastical, artistic, and social history of that continent, it is important to understand epidemic disease and society's response to it. To date, the largest portion of scholarship about plague has focused on its political, economic, demographic, and medical aspects. This interdisciplinary volume offers greater coverage of the religious and the psychological dimensions of plague and of European society's response to it through many centuries and over a wide geographical terrain, including Byzantium.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781931112734 20160528
- Publication date
- Sixteenth century essays & studies series ; 78
- 9781931112734 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1931112738 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: