English and empowerment in the developing world
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK : Cambridge Scholars Pub., 2009.
- Physical description
- xviii, 282 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
PE1128 .A2 E465 2009
- Unknown PE1128 .A2 E465 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is a collection of thought-provoking papers that investigate empowerment within the contexts of language, education, and technology. In the seventeen papers published in the book, local and international practitioners and researchers have analysed their experiences within a range of socio-linguistic situations. Adding significant insights and depth to a previously under-researched area, the publication will be of interest not only to ELT teachers and students, but also to social science researchers working in the area of South Asian studies. The book based on selected papers presented at the 2007 Aga Khan University Centre of English Language Seminar in Karachi offers insights into the issues of empowerment as it interacts with language education, gender, and information technology. These papers represent the depth of scholarship and the sophistication of insight that the Karachi seminar was able to generate. The book presents issues of international importance through a Pakistani context and creates awareness amongst ELT scholars and students, both in the region and beyond of some of the most pressing language education issues affecting South Asia today. The papers deal with complex cultural issues and force readers to undertake new cultural journey to see issues from a different perspective. The collection will become an essential resource book for all English language teachers, researchers, and scholars interested in learning more about the success stories and problems facing language education in developing countries, especially Pakistan today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Nasreen Hussain, Azra Ahmed and Mohammed Zafar.
- Papers selected from a seminar organised by the Aga Khan University Centre of English Language in 2007.
- 1443801445 (hbk.)
- 9781443801447 (hbk.)