Language development in early childhood
- Beverly Otto.
- 3rd ed.
- Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Merrill, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 440 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139.5 .L35 O83 2010||Unknown|
- Otto, Beverly.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 409-425) and index.
- Chapter 1 Language in Our Lives Chapter 2 Theoretical Perspectives and Contexts of Language Development Chapter 3 Language Development Among Children of Linguistic Diversity Chapter 4 Language Development of Infants and Toddlers Chapter 5 Enhancing Language Development in Infants and Toddlers Chapter 6 Language Development in Preschoolers Chapter 7 Enhancing Language Development in Preschoolers Chapter 8 Language Development in Kindergartners Chapter 9 Enhancing the Language Development of Kindergartners Chapter 10 Language Development in the Primary Years Chapter 11 Enhancing Language Development in the Primary Years Chapter 12 Language Assessment: Observing, Screening, Diagnosing and Documenting Chapter 13 Enhancing Language Development Among Children with Communicative Disorders Chapter 14 Fostering Language Development Through School--Home Connections Appendixes Glossary References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780135019696 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- "The acquisition of language is essential to children's cognitive and social development." From the NAEYC position statement, November 1995. Readers of this book will receive a solid foundation for understanding language development from birth to age eight. The text supplies a basic overview of phonetics, semantic, syntactic, morphemic, and pragmatic aspects of language knowledge, while also providing practical suggestions for interactions with children and templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development. The appendices provide supplementary information on additional readings. The new edition has been extensively revised with coverage of the latest research and hot topics in the field such as: New To This Edition: *Updates the section on the role of brain maturation in language development--Provides awareness of the connections between physical, cognitive, and language development. *Describes the techniques used by researchers to discover the perceptual abilities of infants to distinguish speech sounds and patterns of intonation--This helps students understand the complexities of research with very young children.* Provides templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development in the assessments chapter--This shows practical ways for teachers to begin to systematically observe individual children's language development. *Includes guidelines and strategies for interacting with English language learners at each developmental level, providing practical ways in which teachers can enhance language development among ELLs.*Reviews current research on autism and its connection to early language development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780135019696 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780135019696 (pbk.)
- 0135019699 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: