Before Wilde : sex between men in Britain's age of reform
- Charles Upchurch.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xi, 276 p. ; 24 cm.
- Upchurch, Charles, 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 247-264) and index.
- List of Tables Acknowledgments Introduction PART ONE. UNDERSTANDINGS
- 1. Families and Sex between Men
- 2. Class, Masculinity, and Spaces PART TWO. EARLY NINETEENTH-CENTURY CHANGES
- 3. Law and Reform in the 1820s
- 4. Public Men: The Metropolitan Police
- 5. Unnatural-Assault Reporting in the London Press PART THREE. IMPLICATIONS
- 6. Patterns within the Changes
- 7. Conclusion: Character and Medicine Notes Select Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book examines changing perceptions of sex between men in early Victorian Britain, a significant yet surprisingly little explored period in the history of Western sexuality. Looking at the dramatic transformations of the era - changes in the family and in the law, the emergence of the world's first police force, the growth of a national media, and more - Charles Upchurch asks how perceptions of same-sex desire changed between men, in families, and in the larger society. To illuminate these questions, he mines a rich trove of previously unexamined sources, including hundreds of articles pertaining to sex between men that appeared in mainstream newspapers. The first book to relate this topic to broader economic, social, and political changes in the early nineteenth century, "Before Wilde" sheds new light on the central question of how and when sex acts became identities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Gay men > Great Britain > History.
- Gay men > Great Britain > Social conditions.
- Men > Sexual behavior > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Homosexuality > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Sex > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Great Britain > Social conditions > 19th century.
- Publication date
- 9780520258532 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520258533 (cloth : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: