Theory and analysis of elastic plates and shells
- Reddy, J. N. (Junuthula Narasimha), 1945-
- 2nd ed.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- 547 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
QA935 .R347 2007
- Unknown QA935 .R347 2007
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -541) and index.
- PREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION PREFACE ABOUT THE AUTHOR VECTORS, TENSORS, AND EQUATIONS OF ELASTICITY Introduction Vectors, Tensors, and Matrices Equations of Elasticity Transformation of Stresses, Strains, and Stiffnesses ENERGY PRINCIPLES AND VARIATIONAL METHODS Virtual Work Energy Principles Castigliano's Theorems Variational Methods CLASSICAL THEORY OF PLATES Introduction Assumptions of the Theory Displacement Field and Strains Equations of Motion Boundary and Initial Conditions Plate Stiffness Coefficients Stiffness Coefficients of Orthotropic Plates Equations of Motion in Terms of Displacements ANALYSIS OF PLATE STRIPS Introduction Governing Equations Bending Analysis Buckling under Inplane Compressive Load Free Vibration Transient Analysis ANALYSIS OF CIRCULAR PLATES Introduction Governing Equations Axisymmetric Bending Asymmetrical Bending Free Vibration Axisymmetric Buckling BENDING OF SIMPLY SUPPORTED RECTANGULAR PLATES Introduction Navier Solutions Levy's Solutions BENDING OF RECTANGULAR PLATES WITH VARIOUS BOUNDARY CONDITIONS Introduction Levy Solutions Approximate Solutions by the Ritz Method GENERAL BUCKLING OF RECTANGULAR PLATES Buckling of Simply Supported Plates under Compressive Loads Buckling of Plates Simply Supported along Two Opposite Sides and Compressed in the Direction Perpendicular to Those Sides Buckling of Rectangular Plates Using the Ritz Method DYNAMIC ANALYSIS OF RECTANGULAR PLATES Introduction Natural Vibration of Simply Supported Plates Natural Vibration of Plates with Two Parallel Sides Simply Supported Natural Vibration of Plates with General Boundary Conditions Transient Analysis SHEAR DEFORMATION PLATE THEORIES First-Order Shear Deformation Plate Theory The Navier Solutions of FSDT The Third-Order Plate Theory The Navier Solutions of TSDT Relationships between Solutions of Classical and Shear Deformation Theories THEORY AND ANALYSIS OF SHELLS Introduction Governing Equations Analytical Solutions of Thin Cylindrical Shells Analytical Solutions of Shells with Double Curvature Vibration and Buckling of Circular Cylinders FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF PLATES Introduction Finite Element Models of CPT Finite Element Models of FSDT Nonlinear Finite Element Models REFERENCES SUBJECT INDEX Summaries and Problems appear in every chapter.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Because plates and shells are common structural elements in aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering structures, engineers must understand the behavior of such structures through the study of theory and analysis. Compiling this information into a single volume, "Theory and Analysis of Elastic Plates and Shells, Second Edition" presents a complete, up-to-date, and unified treatment of classical and shear deformation plates and shells, from the basic derivation of theories to analytical and numerical solutions. Revised and updated, this second edition incorporates new information in most chapters, along with some rearrangement of topics to improve the clarity of the overall presentation. The book presents new material on the theory and analysis of shells, featuring an additional chapter devoted to the topic. The author also includes new sections that address Castigliano's theorems, axisymmetric buckling of circular plates, the relationships between the solutions of classical and shear deformation theories, and the nonlinear finite element analysis of plates. The book provides many illustrations of theories, formulations, and solution methods, resulting in an easy-to-understand presentation of the topics. Like the previous edition, this book remains a suitable textbook for a course on plates and shells in aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering curricula and continues to serve as a reference for industrial and academic structural engineers and scientists.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Elastic plates and shells.
- Publication date
- J.N. Reddy.
- Previously published as: Theory and analysis of elastic plates. Philadelphia : Taylor & Francis, c1999.
- Related Work
- Reddy, J. N. (Junuthula Narasimha), 1945- Theory and analysis of elastic plates.
- 9780849384158 (hbk.)
- 084938415X (hbk.)