The dreamkeepers : successful teachers of African American children
- Gloria Ladson-Billings.
- 2nd ed.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxii, 225 p. : 1 ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2717 .L33 2009||Unknown|
- Ladson-Billings, Gloria, 1947-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword to the New Edition. Preface. The Author. 1. A Dream Deferred. 2. Does Culture Matter? 3. Seeing Color, Seeing Culture. 4. We Are Family. 5. The Tree of Knowledge. 6. Culturally Relevant Teaching. 7. Making Dreams into Reality. Afterword. Appendix A: Methodology. Appendix B: Context. Notes. Index. Discussion Questions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470408155 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- In the second edition of her critically acclaimed book "The Dreamkeepers", Gloria Ladson-Billings revisits the eight teachers who were profiled in the first edition and introduces us to new teachers who are current exemplars of good teaching. She shows that culturally relevant teaching is not a matter of race, gender, or teaching style. What matters most is a teacher's efforts to work with the unique strengths a child brings to the classroom. A brilliant mixture of scholarship and storytelling, "The Dreamkeepers" challenges us to envision intellectually rigorous and culturally relevant classrooms that have the power to improve the lives of not just African American students, but all children. This new edition also includes questions for reflection.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470408155 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780470408155 (pbk.)
- 0470408154 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: