The black male handbook : a blueprint for life
- edited by Kevin Powell ; foreword by Hill Harper.
- 1st Atria Books trade pbk. ed.
- New York : Atria Books, 2008.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 244 p. ; 22 cm.
- Powell, Kevin.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-207), filmography (p. 209-211), and discography (p. 213-215).
- Creating a spiritual foundation / Lasana Omar Hotep
- Developing political awareness / Jeff Johnson
- Redefining Black manhood / Byron Hurt
- Starting a plan for economic empowerment / Ryan Mack
- Taking care of your physical health / Kendrick B. Nathaniel
- Moving toward mental wellness / Andraé L. Brown
- Ending violence against women and girls / Kevin Powell
- I am a man / William Jelani Cobb
- Who's who in The Black male handbook
- Nine things you can do to improve yourself and help others
- Recommended readings
- Recommended films and documentaries
- Recommended music CDs
- Recommended safe spaces for Black males
- Tips for Black males when stopped by the police
- How to take care of and present yourself as a Black male
- Hygiene tips for Black males
- Dress and style tips for Black males
- Etiquette tips for Black males
- Grooming tips for Black males
- Job interview tips for Black males
- Link to more resources for Black males.
- Publisher's summary
The Black Male Handbook is a collection of essays for Black males on surviving, living, and winning. Kevin Powell taps into the social and political climate rising in the Black community, particularly as it relates to Black males. This is a must-have book, not only for Black male readers, but the women who befriend, parent, partner, and love them. The Black Male Handbook answers a collective hunger for new direction, fresh solutions to old problems, and a different kind of conversation -- man-to-man and with Black male voices. The book tackles issues related to political, practical, cultural, and spiritual matters, and ending violence against women and girls. Written by a stellar list of Black male leaders, this book comes at the perfect time-answering a collective hunger for new direction and fresh solutions to old problems of the Black community.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: