Battleground : environment
- Robert William Collin.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xxiii, 573 p.) ; 26 cm.
- Collin, Robert W., 1957-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 553-556) and index.
- v. 1. A-H
- v. 2. I-Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- The environment inflames passions in people on all points of the political spectrum. Concern over such issues as the rise of cancer in industrialised countries, climate change, and urban sprawl has skyrocketed as we recognise the impact that humans have on the environment. However, the nuances of many environmental conflicts are often overlooked as the media focuses on the adversarial nature of the controversy. This reference resource provides students, teachers, librarians, and general readers with the necessary first step in understanding these issues. Each entry identifies the issue involved, and the positions and participants in the debate, describes where and when the controversy occurred, and explains the cultural, social, and political context and dimensions of the conflict."Battleground: Environment" provides in-depth analysis of over 100 of the most controversial topics involving the environment, including: childhood asthma, the Kyoto Summit and Treaty, 'Smart Growth', the Three Gorges Dam in China, and genetically modified food. Entries include descriptions of public policies and discussions of the future of the controversy. Each entry concludes with cross references and a short bibliography. The resource includes numerous sidebars that discuss in detail particular local controversies that illuminate the complexity of the topics discussed.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- 9780313338656 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313338655 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313338663 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313338663 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313338670 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313338671 (v. 2 : alk. paper)