Under full sail [videorecording] : silent cinema on the high seas
- Blackhawk Films ; Film Preservation Associates, Inc. ; produced by David Shepard and Jeffery Masino.
- Flicker Alley digital ed.
- Los Angeles, Calif. : Flicker Alley, c2009.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (130 min.) : si./sd., b&w/tinted; 4 3/4 in.
- Blackhawk Films collection.
- Shepard, David.
- Masino, Jeffery.
- Sullivan, C. Gardner, 1884-1965.
- DeMille, Cecil B. (Cecil Blount), 1881-1959.
- Julian, Rupert.
- Clift, Denison, 1892-1961.
- Weston, Garnett, 1890-1980
- Boyd, William, 1895-1972.
- Fair, Elinor.
- Coghlan, Frank.
- Villiers, Alan, 1903-1982.
- DeMille Pictures Corporation.
- Producers Distributing Corporation.
- Fox Film Corporation.
- Whaling Film Corporation.
- Blackhawk Films.
- Film Preservation Associates.
- Flicker Alley (Firm)
- The Yankee clipper (1927, ca.
- 80 min.) / C. Gardner Sullivan ; produced by De Mille Pictures Corporation for Producers Distributing Corporation ; story, Denison Clift ; adaptation, Garnett Weston ; photography, John Mescall ; editor, Harold McLernon ; director, Rupert Julian
- Ship ahoy! (c1928, ca.
- 9 min. / Fox Film Corporation ; musical setting, Eric Beheim
- The square-rigger (1932) / Magic Carpet of Movietone ; distributed by Fox Film Corporation
- Around the Horn in a square rigger (1933) / photographed by Alan J. Villiers ; music, Eric Beheim
- Down to the sea in ships (1922, ca. 10-min. excerpt) / produced by the Whaling Film Corporation ; filmed by A.G. Penrod and Paul Allen ; music compiled and performed by Dennis James.
The Yankee clipper: Feature-length melodrama recreating the real-life race from Foo Chow to Boston for the China tea trade, filmed at sea for six weeks aboard the 1856 wooden square-rigger Indiana. Restored to the most complete version available since the film's release.
Ship ahoy!: A unique record of the conditions and traditions of the North American lumber trade featuring an unidentified schooner equipped with a fore and aft rig as it transports lumber from the Carolinas up the coast to a northern port.
The square rigger: Early sound short filmed as part of Fox's Magic Carpet of Movietone, shows life aboard the schoolship Dar Pomorza, "The White Frigate." Built in 1909 as the Prinzess Eitel Friedrich, it was ceded from Germany to France as a prize of World War I, and was later donated to the Polish State Maritime School in 1930 where it served 50 years and trained more than 13,000 cadets.
Around the Horn in a square rigger: Documents the record-breaking 83-day voyage of the 1902 barque Parma from Australia to England in the 1933 Grain Race. Villiers writes, "We wanted to make a picture that would capture some of the stirring beauty of these ships, that would perpetuate, in the realm of shadows at least, something of the glory of their wanderings...some glimmer of understanding of the attraction which they hold over those who sail in them."
- Down to the sea in ships: Documents an authentic whale hunt from the 1878 wooden ship Wanderer out of New Bedford, Massachusetts. The cameramen (A.G. Penrod and Paul Allen) risk their lives to capture practices unchanged since Herman Melville immortalized them in Moby Dick.
- Publication date
- The Yankee Clipper: William Boyd, Elinor Fair, Frank "Junior" Coghlan.
- DVD; Region 0; 1.33:1 aspect ratio.
- Included Work
- Yankee clipper.
- Ship ahoy!
- Around the Horn in a square rigger.
- Down to the sea in ships.
- Publisher Number
- FA0012 Flicker Alley
Browse related items
Start at call number: