Early learning of modern foreign languages : processes and outcomes
- Bristol, UK ; Buffalo : Multilingual Matters, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 242 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Second language acquisition (Clevedon, England)
P118.2 .E16 2009
- Unknown P118.2 .E16 2009
- Nikolov, Marianne.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- A third language at primary level in Ireland : an independent evaluation of the modern languages in primary schools initiative / John Harris and Denise O'Leary
- Can today's early language learners in England become tomorrow's plurilingual European citizens? / Janet Enever
- Young learners of Croatian as a second language : minority language speakers and their Croatian competence / Zrinka Jelaska and Lidija Cvikić
- Young learners' cognitive skills and their role in foreign language vocabulary learning / Thomaï Alexiou
- An investigation into the relationship of L2 motivation and cross-cultural contact among elementary school students / Kata Csizér and Judit Kormos
- Impact of learning conditions on young FL learners' motivation / Jelena Mihaljević Djigunović
- Early modern foreign language programmes and outcomes : factors contributing to Hungarian learners' proficiency / Marianne Nikolov
- Using the early years literacy programme in primary EFL Norwegian classrooms / Ion Drew
- The age factor and L2 reading strategies / Renata Šamo
- A study of FL composing process and writing strategies employed by young learners / Eleni Griva, Helen Tsakiridou and Ioanna Nihoritou
- How do 9-11-year-old Croatians perceive sounds and read aloud in French? / Vanda Marijanović, Nathalie Panissal and Michel Billières
- Differences between the processes and outcomes in third graders' learning of English and Ukrainian in Hungarian schools in Beregszász / Ilona Huszti, Márta Fábián and Erzsébet Bárányné Komári
- The growth of young learners' English vocabulary size / Andrea Orosz
- Factors influencing young learners' vocabulary acquisition / Magdalena Szpotowicz
- An eye on target language use in elementary English classrooms in China / Jing Peng and Lili Zhang
- What primary school pupils think about learning English as a foreign language / Kirsztina Nagy.
- Publisher's Summary
- Modern languages are offered to young learners at an increasingly early age in many countries; yet few publications have focused on what is available to children in different contexts. This volume fills this gap by documenting the state-of-the-art in researching young language learners using a variety of research methods. It demonstrates how young children progress and benefit from an early exposure to modern languages in different educational contexts, and how affective, cognitive, social, linguistic and classroom-related factors interact in the processes. A special strength is the range of languages: although English is the most widely learnt language, chapters focus on various target languages: Croatian, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish and Ukrainian and the contexts include China, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Norway, Poland, the Ukraine, and the United Kingdom.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Marianne Nikolov.
- Second language acquisition
- 9781847691460 (cloth)
- 9781847691453 (paper)
- 9781847691477 (ebook)
- 1847691463 (cloth)
- 1847691455 (paper)
- 1847691471 (ebook)