The politics of language education : individuals and institutions
- edited by J. Charles Alderson.
- Bristol, UK ; Buffalo [N.Y.] : Multilingual Matters, c2009.
- Physical description
- xi, 236 p. ; 22 cm.
- New perspectives on language and education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|P53.6128 .P65 2009||Unknown|
- Alderson, J. Charles.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Setting the scene / J. Charles Alderson
- Professional advice vs political imperatives / Alan Davies
- Micropolitical issues in ELT project implementation / Tom Hunter
- The politics of ELT projects in China / Ron Kerr
- Teaching immigrants the language of the host community : two object lessons in the need for continuous policy development / David Little and Barbara Lazenby Simpson
- The commercialisation of language provision at university / Glenn Fulcher
- The role of micropolitics in multinational, high-stakes language assessment systems / Mark Crossey
- Challenges and constraints in language test development / Gary Buck
- The politics of examination reform in Central Europe
- Karmen Pižorn and Edit Nagy
- Language educational policies within a European framework / Neus Figueras
- The micropolitics of research and publication / J. Charles Alderson.
- Publisher's Summary
- Politics can be a very important influence on educational developments and their deployment. However, this volume is different from other volumes since it looks, not at the macropolitics and the ideological agendas of nations and multinational or global organisations, but rather focuses on micropolitics, the agendas and motivations of individuals within organisations, and on their actions. Micropolitics can be seen as ways of manoeuvring within institutions which are themselves not political, but commercial, financial and educational. Indeed, politics with a small 'p' includes not only institutional politics, but also personal politics, which can influence language education both in daily matters, and in projects for innovation and change. The aim of this edited book is to begin a debate about the nature and role of micropolitics, to contribute to a better understanding of language education, change and resistance to change, and the processes of language education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- New perspectives on language and education
- 9781847691439 (hbk.)
- 1847691439 (hbk.)
- 9781847691422 (pbk.)
- 1847691420 (pbk.)
- 9781847691446 (ebook)
- 1847691447 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: