Immigration, diversity, and education
- edited by Elena L. Grigorenko, Ruby Takanishi.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- vi, 305 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3746 .I625 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface, Elena L. Grigorenko Introduction, Ruby Takanishi 1. Children of Immigrants and the Future of America, Donald J. Hernandez, Nancy A. Denton, and Suzanne E. Macartney 2. Differences in Social Transfer Support and Poverty for Immigrant Families with Children: Lessons from the LIS, Timothy Smeeding, Coady Wing, and Karen Robson 3. Disentangling Nativity Status, Race/Ethnicity, and Country of Origin in Predicting the School Readiness of Young Immigrant Children, Jessica Johnson De Feyter and Adam Winsler 4. Preparing the Way: Early Head Start and the Socio-Emotional Health of Latino Infants and Toddlers, Krista M. Perreira, Linda Beeber, Todd Schwartz, Diane Holditch-Davis, India Ornelas and Lauren Maxwell 5. Latinos and Early Education: Immigrant Generational Differences and Family Involvement, Eugene E. Garcia, Kent Scribner, and Delis Cuellar 6. Diversity in Academic Achievement: Children of Immigrants in US Schools, Jennifer E. Glick and Littisha Bates 7. Latino/a Immigrant Parents' Voices in Mathematics Education, Marta Civil and Nuria Planas 8. Cultural Incongruence Between Teachers and Families: Implications for Immigrant Students, Selcuk R. Sirin and Patrice Ryce 9. Special Educational Needs of Children in Immigrant Families, Dylan Conger and Elena L. Grigorenko 10. Two Generations of Educational Progress in Latin American Immigrant Families in the U.S: A Conceptual Framework for a New Policy Context, Ariel Kalil and Robert Crosnoe 11. Does It Begin At School Or Home? Institutional Origins Of Overweight Among Young Children In Immigrant Families, Jennifer Van Hook, Elizabeth Baker and Claire Altman 12. Parenting of Young Immigrant Chinese Children: Challenges Facing their Social Emotional and Intellectual Development, Charissa S. L. Cheah and Jin Li 13. More than the A-B-C's and 1-2-3's: The importance of family cultural socialization and ethnic identity development for children of immigrants' early school success, Amy Kerivan Marks, Flannery Patton and Cynthia Garcia Coll 14. Emergent Literacy in Immigrant Children: Home and School Environment Interface, Iliana Reyes and Yuuko Uchikoshi 15. Development of Tolerance and Respect for Diversity in Children in the context of Immigration, Oscar Barbarin, Micaela Mercado and Dari Jigjidsuren Conclusion: Commenting On What We Know and What We Need to Learn, Elena L. Grigorenko.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415456272 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This edited volume presents an overview of research and policy issues pertaining to children aged 0 to 10 who are first- and second-generation immigrants to the U.S. Thus, this book aims at informing professionals in different disciplines about recent developments and research findings on immigration. By accessibly presenting research findings and policy considerations in the field, this collection lays the foundation for changes in child and youth services associated with the shifting ethnic, cultural, and linguistic profile of the US population.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415456272 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780415456272 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415456274 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780203872864 (e-book)
- 020387286X (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: