Advocacy leadership : toward a post-reform agenda in education
- Gary L. Anderson.
- New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xv, 213 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Critical social thought.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2805 .A56 2009||Unknown|
- Anderson, Gary L., 1948-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 193-205) and index.
- Series Editor Introduction, Michael Apple Foreword, Janelle Scott Acknowledgments Introduction 1. School Reform, Authenticity, and Advocacy 2. Authentic Leadership 3. The New Economy of Schooling 4. Disciplining Leaders: Mediating the New Economy 5. Toward an Authentic Distribution of Leadership 6. Toward a Post-Reform Agenda References Appendix A Notes References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415994286 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Educational leaders - and other school professionals - are experiencing a new work environment in which contracting, outsourcing, student recruitment, public relations, and an obsession with test scores are taking center stage. Leaders are pushed to be entrepreneurial managers, increasingly expected to act less like educators and more like MBAs. In this timely and important new book, Gary Anderson provides a devastating critique of why this managerial role is counterproductive, especially for improving opportunities for low-income students and students of color, and instead proposes ways of re-theorizing educational leadership to emphasize its advocacy role."Advocacy Leadership" lays out a post-reform agenda that moves beyond the neo-liberal, competition framework to define a new accountability, a new pedagogy, and a new leadership role definition. Drawing on personal narrative, discourse analysis, and interdisciplinary scholarship, Anderson delivers a compelling argument for the need to move away from current inauthentic and inequitable approaches to school reform in order to jump-start a conversation about an alternative vision of education today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415994286 20160527
- Publication date
- The critical social thought series
- 0415994284 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415994286 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415994276 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415994279 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0203880617 (ebk)
- 9780203880616 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: