Handbook of Asian education : a cultural perspective
- editor, Yong Zhao ; co-editors, Jing Lei ... [et al].
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xx, 558 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LA1141 .H38 2011
- Unknown LA1141 .H38 2011
- Zhao, Yong.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This comprehensive and authoritative Handbook describes educational practices in Asia and explains and interprets these practices from cultural, historical, and economic perspectives. It documents the accomplishments and achievements of Asian education and also discusses the challenges it faces.Using a clearly explained civilization-based framework, the volume is structured in five sections, each devoted to educational practices in a particular Asian civilization (Sinic, Japanese, Hindu, Islamic, Buddhist). The topics addressed include both the formal schooling system and out-of-school educational practices, education governance and management, curriculum and assessment, teachers and teaching; learners and learning; home and community. Each section offers one chapter on the challenges education faces and what efforts are underway or planned to meet them, and one chapter on how immigrants from each civilization have come to live in the West, how they are educated, and how they are adapting to their new homes." Handbook of Asian Education: A Cultural Perspective": offers a novel and sensible approach to capture the essence of the diverse educational systems and practices in Asia; is written from an angle to inform readers in the U.S. and other Western cultures about Asian education and the education of Asian immigrants; and uniquely combines description and interpretation of educational practices in Asia. This volume is directed to education researchers and graduate students in international and comparative education, globalization and education, multicultural education, sociocultural foundations of education, Asian studies; educational administrators, and education policy makers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780805864458 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0805864458 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780805864441 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 080586444X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781410618740 (ebk.)
- 1410618749 (ebk.)