Handbook of research on schools, schooling, and human development
- edited by Judith L. Meece, Jacquelynne S. Eccles.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 515 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1507 .H255 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface I. Introduction 1. Introduction, Judith L. Meece and Victoria A. Schaefer, University of North Carolina-CH 2. Schools as Context for Human Development, Jacquelynne Eccles, University of Michigan and Robert Roeser, Portland State University II. Classroom Contexts 3. Classroom Environments and Developmental Processes: Conceptualization, Measurement, & Improvement, Bridget K. Hamre and Robert Pianta, University of Virginia 4. Linking the Classroom Context and the Development of Children's Memory Skills, Peter Ornstein, Jennifer Coffman, Laura McCall, Jennie Grammer, and Priscilla San Souci, University of North Carolina-CH 5. Learner-Centered Practices: Providing the Context for Positive Learner Development, Motivation, and Achievement, Barbara McCombs, Denver Research Institute, University of Denver 6. Teacher-Student Relationships and School Adjustment, Kathyrn Wentzel, University of Maryland 7. Classroom Goal Structures, Motivation, and Learning, Timothy Urdan, Santa Clara University III. Schools as Social Context for Development 8. Schools Contexts that Promote Student's Positive Development, Victor Battistich, University of Missouri-St. Louis 9. The Multilevel Nature of Adolescent Peer Relations in Ethnically Diverse Schools, Jill V. Hamm and Lei Zhang, University of North Carolina-CH 10. The School Context, Bullying, and Victimization, Dorothy Espelage, University of Illinois, Champagne-Urbana, Melissa Holt, University of New Hampshire, and Paul Poteat, University of Illinois, Champagne-Urbana IV. Developmental Effects of School Transitionsa 11. Early School Transition of Rural Poor Children, Lynne Vernon-Feagans, Kathleen Gallagher, and Kirsten Kainz, University of North Carolina-CH 12. Literacy Development in the Transition to School: An Integrative Framework, Frederick Morrison, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and Carol Connor, Florida State University 13. Middle School Transitions & Adolescent Development: Disentangling Psychological, Social, and Biological Effects, Eric Anderman, University of Kentucky and Christian Mueller, University of Memphis 14. Bringing Rigor to the Study of Rigor: Are Advanced Placement Courses a Useful Approach to Increasing College Access and Success for Urban and Minority Youths? Melissa Roderick and Ginger Stoker, University of Chicago V. Schooling & Educational Equity 15. The Long Reach of Socioeconomic Status in Education, Doris Entwisle, Karl Alexander, and Linda Olson, Johns Hopkins University 16. Stereotypes & Expectations in the Classroom: Interpersonal vs. Group-Based Expectancy Processes across Domains of Functioning, Clark McKown, University of Illinois, Chicago, Anne Gregory, University of Virginia, and Rhona Weinstein, University of California-Berkeley 17. The Role of Schooling in Ethnic Minority Achievement and Attainment, Stephanie Rowley, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Beth Kurtz-Costes, University of North Carolina-CH, and Shauna M. Cooper, University of South Carolina 18. Schooling Experiences of Latino Students, Rosemary Ceballo, Marisela Huerta, and Quyen Epstein Ngo, University of Michigan 19. Schooling, Cultural Diversity, and Student Motivation, Revathy Kumar, University of Toledo and Martin Maehr, University of Michigan VI. School Organization and Educational Policy 20. Grade Retention, Student Achievement, & High School Dropout: Results of Chicago School Project, Elaine Allensworth and Jennifer Nagako, Consortium on Chicago School Research, University of Chicagoaaa 21. School Calendars and Academic Achievement, Harris Cooper, Duke University, Geoffrey Borman, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Ron Fairchild, Johns Hopkins Universitya 22. Developmental and Educational Role of Recess in School, Anthony Pellegrini and Danielle Dupuis, University of Minnesota 23. Protect, Prepare, Support, and Engage: The Roles of School-Based Extracurricular in Students' Development, Bonnie Barber and Margaret Stone, University of Arizona, and Jacquelynne Eccles, University of Michigan 24. After-School Program Engagement and In-School Competence: Program Quality, Content, and Staffing, Joseph Mahoney, University of California-Irvine, Maria E. Parente and Edward Zigler, Yale University 25. Parents' Involvement in Children's Schooling: A Context for Youth's Positive Development, Eva Pomerantz and Elizabeth Moorman, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana VII. School-Based Interventions 26. Comer School Development Program, James Comer, Yale University 27. Success for All: Prevention and Intervention in Schoolwide Reform, Robert Slavin, Johns Hopkins University and Nancy Madden, Success for All Foundation, Baltimore, MD 28. Talent Development Model in the Middle School, Douglas Mac Iver, Robert W. Balfanz, Allen Ruby, and Vaughn Byrnes, Johns Hopkins University 29. Concept-Oriented Reading Instruction, Allan Wigfield and John Guthrie, University of Maryland-College Park 30. Taking "Steps" to Effect Ecological Change: A Transactional Analysis of Social Competence and Bullying Prevention Programs, Karin Frey, Committee for the Children and Susan Nolen, University of Washington.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The purpose of this book is to document some important ways schools influence children's development and to describe various models and methods for studying schooling effects.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Research on schools, schooling, and human development
- 9780805859485 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0805859489 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780805859492 (papercover : alk. paper)
- 0805859497 (papercover : alk. paper)
- 9780203874844 (ebook)
- 0203874846 (ebook)
- 9780415955669 (alk. paper)
- 0415955661 (alk. paper)
- 9780415955676 (alk. paper)
- 041595567X (alk. paper)
- 9780203883945 (alk. paper)
- 0203883942 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: