The Routledge international companion to gifted education
- edited by Tom Balchin, Barry Hymer, Dona J. Matthews.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 376 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Routledge international companions.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3993 .R69 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 325-366) and index.
- Foreword by James H. Borland Authors' Biographies Introduction: Reflections on the road ahead Part I. Models, Definitions &-- Conceptual Challenges 1. Brightening Up: How Children Learn To Be Gifted, Guy Claxton &-- Sara Meadows 2. Neural Interconnectivity And Intellectual Creativity: Giftedness, Savants, And Learning Styles, John Geake 3. Making Connections: Cognition, Emotion, And A Shifting Paradigm, Dona J. Matthews &-- Christy Folsom 4. Giftedness: The Gift That Keeps On Giving, Dean Simonton 5. Talent Development: DMGT, Francoys Gagne 6. The Nature Of Creative Giftedness And Talent, Todd Lubart, Asta Georgsdottir &-- Maud Besancon 7. The Future Of The English Definition Of Giftedness, Thomas Balchin Part II. International Perspectives 8. Gifted Education From The German Perspective, Kurt Heller 9. Education Practices For Gifted Learners In France: An Overview, Pierre Vrignaud, Denis Bonora, &-- Annie Dreux 10. High Ability Education In Sweden: The Swedish Model, A...ke Edfeldt &-- Inger Wistedt 11. A Proposal For Gifted Education In Reluctant Schools: The Case Of The Greek School System, Elias Matsagouras &-- Evangelia Dougali 12. We Can Still Do This, Or Can We? The Russian System Of Educating And Promoting Talent In Mathematics And Science, Ida Jeltova, Konstantin Lukin &-- Elena L. Grigorenko 13. Russian Strategies For Talent Development: Stimulating Comfort And Discomfort, Victoria S. Yurkevich &-- Boris M. Davidovich 14. Gifted But Underachieving: Australian Indigenous Children, Graham M. Chaffey 15. Lay Conceptions Of Giftedness Among The Chinese People, David W. Chan Part III. Psychosocial Development 16. The Ethics Of Gifted Education - What Can We Learn From Medical Ethics? Annie Haight 17. Ethical Sensitivity And Giftedness, Kirsi Tirri 18. Morality And Giftedness, Joan Freeman 19. Emotional Intelligence: Re-Examining Some Preconceptions, Maria Dolores Prieto &-- Mercedes Ferrando 20. Too Long Neglected: Giftedness In Younger Children, Valsa Koshy 21. Teaching The Able Child ! Or Teaching The Child To Be Able? Jan Hughes 22. Global Success And Giftedness, Carmen Cretu 23. A Reconsideration Of The Widely Held Conviction That Gifted Students Prefer To Work Alone, Lisa R. French &-- Bruce M. Shore Part IV. Theory into Practice: Differentiation Strategies, Tools, and Approaches 24. A Computerized Strength Assessment And Internet-Based Enrichment Program For Developing Giftedness And Talents, Joseph Renzulli and Sally Reis 25. Acceleration: Meeting The Academic And Social Needs Of Students, Nicholas Colangelo &-- Susan Assouline 26. Recognising And Fostering Creative Production, Thomas Balchin 27. Programming For Talent Development: Expanding Horizons For Gifted Education, Donald Treffinger, Carole A. Nassab &-- Edwin C. Selby 28. Special Educational Needs And Dual Exceptionality, Diane Montgomery 29. Visual Thinking: A Gifted Boy With Asperger Syndrome, Wieslawa Limont 30. Challenge And Creativity: Making The Links, Helen Wilson 31. Educating For Enquiry: Personalising Learning Through Dialogic Teaching, Robert Fisher Part V. Expanding Horizons: Supporting Gifted Development More Broadly 32. Wisdom, Intelligence, Creativity, Synthesised: A Model Of Giftedness, Robert Sternberg 33. Fostering Giftedness In Urban And Diverse Communities: Context-Sensitive Solutions, Ian Warwick &-- Dona Matthews 34. The Role Of Gifted Education In Promoting Cultural Diversity, Joyce VanTassel-Baska 35. Developing Pupils' Problem-Solving And Thinking Skills, Belle Wallace 36. Creating Inclusive And Inclusional Understandings Of Gifts And Talents Through Living Educational Theory Research, Marie Huxtable 37. Beyond Compare? Thoughts Towards An Inclusional, Fluid, And Non-Normative Understanding Of Giftedness, Barry J. Hymer 38. Self-Theories And Lessons For Giftedness: A Reflective Conversation, Carol S. Dweck 39. Turning Points And Future Directions In Gifted Education And Talent Development, Sally M. Reis.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415461375 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Routledge International Companion to Gifted Education" is a ground-breaking collection of fully-referenced chapters written by many of the most highly-respected authorities on the subject from around the world. These fifty contributors include distinguished scholars who have produced many of the most significant advances to the field over the past few decades, like Joseph Renzulli and Robert Sternberg, alongside authorities who ask questions about the very concepts and terminology embodied in the field - scholars such as Carol Dweck and Guy Claxton. This multi-faceted volume highlights strategies to support giftedness in children, providing ideas that work and weeding out those that don't is written in jargon-free language in an easy-to use themed format is the most authoritative collection of future-focused views, ideas and reflections, practices and evaluations yet produced.It includes chapters dealing with the major controversies and concerns in the field today, from the problems of identification to changing understandings of giftedness and creativity. The international aspect of the Companion, and its juxtaposition of points of view - whereby chapters are deliberately positioned and accompanied by editorial commentary to highlight the contrasts with each other, - ensures that different views are addressed, allowing the reader to absorb and reflect upon the many perspectives on each issue. "The Companion" is a guide to the new ideas and controversies that are informing gifted education discussion and policy-making around the world. It is a first class resource to students and researchers alike.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415461375 20160527
- Publication date
- Routledge international companions
- 9780415461368 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415461367 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415461375 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415461375 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: