Education and hope in troubled times : visions of change for our children's world
- New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 281 p. ; 23 cm.
- Sociocultural, political, and historical studies in education.
LC196 .E383 2009
- Unknown LC196 .E383 2009
- Shapiro, H. Svi.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PrefaceContributors1. Introduction: Education and Hope in Trouble Times H. Svi Shapiro 2. Education and Schooling in the 21st Century: The Role of the Profession David E. Purpel3. Is There a Place for Education in Social Transformation? Michael W. Apple 4. What Is to be Done? Toward a Rationale for Social Movement Building Jean Anyon5. Mechanics of Unfairness: How We Undercut Poor Children's Educational Opportunity Sue Books6. The Moral and Spiritual Poverty of Educational 'Leadership'!and a Hope for the FutureUlrich C. Reitzug and Deborah L. West 7. Fear versus Possibility: Why We Need a New DEEL for Our Children's FutureSteven Jay Gross and Joan Poliner Shapiro 8. Capitalism's Continuing Attempts to Dominate Civil Society, Culture, and Schools: What Should Be Done?Richard A. Brosio 9. Education After the Empire Ron Miller 10. Education for a Partnership World: Building Cultures of Peace Riane Eisler 11. Critical Thinking in Religious EducationNel Noddings 12. The Cultivation of Children's Bodies Toward Intricate Thinking and SensitiveBehaviorDon Hanlon Johnson 13. To Touch and Be Touched: The Missing Discourse of Bodies in EducationMara Sapon-Shevin 14. Worlds of Change: A Vision for Global Aesthetics Sherry B. Shapiro 15. Teaching Like Weasels Hephzibah Roskelly 16. Transforming Status-Quo Stories: Shifting from 'Me' to 'We' ConsciousnessAnaLouise Keating 17. Disposable Futures: Dirty Democracy and the Politics of DisposabilityHenry A. Giroux 18. Unplaguing the Stomach: Curing the University of California Admission Policy with An Ethic of Communal Care and JusticeJenifer Crawford, Nana Gyamfi and Peter McLaren No Child Left Thinking: Democracy At-Risk in American Schools and What We Need to Do About It Joel Westheimer.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Progressive educators have always been better at critique than at possibility. This book promises not to ignore critique, but to favor possibility. It is most rare and greatly welcomed' - Richard Quantz, Miami University. 'The editor argues that in a material world, depicted by consumerism, spiritual nihilism and conspicuous consumption, there is need to offer a new vision and direction in education that would promote a more harmonious, holistic values-oriented schooling that transforms persons into moral beings, who care for others!. In terms of innovative ideas and approaches to pedagogy and theorizing about schooling, this volume is at the top of pedagogical discourses and thinking' - Joseph Zajda, Australian Catholic University (Melbourne Campus)."Education and Hope in Troubled Times" brings together a group of the best and most creative educational thinkers to reflect on the purpose and future of public education. These original essays by leading social and educational commentators in North America attempt to articulate a new vision for education, especially public education, and begin to set an alternative direction. This is a time of crisis, but also of renewed possibility - one that offers the opportunity to radically reconsider what is the meaning of education for a generation that will bear the brunt of grappling with the extraordinary dangers and challenges we confront today.At its core this volume questions what will it mean to be an educated human being in the 21st century compelled to confront and address so much that threatens the very basis of a decent and hopeful human existence. Carrying forward a project of redefining and reshaping public discourse on education in the U.S., it is a critical catalyst and focus for re-thinking public policy on education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by H. Svi Shapiro.
- Sociocultural, political, and historical studies in education
- 9780415994262 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415994268 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415994255 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 041599425X (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780203881859 (e-book)
- 0203881850 (e-book)