How to handle hard-to-handle preschoolers : a guide for early childhood educators
- Appelbaum, Maryln.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 117 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LC4019.3 .A67 2009
- Unknown LC4019.3 .A67 2009
- Appelbaum Training Institute.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 111-114) and index.
- List of Figures Foreword by Marty Appelbaum Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. How to Handle Children Who Are Disruptive Skill One: How to Handle Tattling Skill Two: How to Handle Complaining Skill Three: How to Handle Constant Chatter Skill Four: How to Handle Blurting Out Skill Five: How to Handle Talking Back Skill Six: How to Handle Power Struggles Skill Seven: How to Handle Student Conflicts 2. How to Handle Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD Inattentive Type ADHD Hyperactive-Impulsive Type Both ADHD Inattentive and ADHD Hyperactive-Impulsive Types 3. How to Handle Children With Learning Disabilities Strategies for Succeeding With Children With LD A Concluding Story 4. How to Handle Anger and Oppositional Defiant Disorder The Stages of Anger and Strategies for Each Stage Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) 5. How to Handle Bullying Recognizing Bullying Strategies for Understanding and Handling Bullying 6. How to Handle Children With Bipolar Disorder What Is Bipolar Disorder? Strategies for Succeeding With Children With Bipolar Disorder 7. How to Handle Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder What Is Autism Spectrum Disorder? Strategies for Succeeding With Children With ASD 8. How to Handle Children With Asperger Syndrome Characteristics of Asperger Syndrome Strategies for Succeeding With Children With AS 9. How to Handle Children With Tourette Syndrome and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Characteristics of Tourette Syndrome (TS) Characteristics of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Psychological Consequences of TS and OCD Strategies for Succeeding With Children With TS and OCD Conclusion References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'All children will benefit from these activities; all they need is a good teacher's imagination!' - Lois Wachtel, CEO and President, Creative Beginning Steps, Early Childhood Workshops. 'A fun and interesting read that is filled with helpful ideas to implement in the PreK classroom!' - Jill J. Simmons-Stemple, Preschool Teacher, Upshur County Schools/Head Start, Buckhannon, WV. Discover the key to better management of children's challenging behaviors! This user-friendly resource provides early childhood educators with a comprehensive overview of the most common kinds of behavioral disorders and learning disabilities in children ages 2 to 5, with guidelines for meeting students' needs within an inclusive environment. This ready-to-go guide is packed with hundreds of easy-to-implement strategies, tips, and techniques for managing behavioral disorders from ADHD to Tourette's syndrome. Each chapter covers one or more disorders and includes a wealth of checklists to help teachers succeed with and understand hard-to-handle children. The author illustrates ways to help young children learn how to: develop the ability to regulate their own behavior; solve problems; replace negative behaviors with positive ones; handle their emotions appropriately; and, succeed in the classroom and in everyday life. "How to Handle Hard-to-Handle Preschoolers" empowers teachers with the tools necessary for transforming a negative, disruptive classroom into a positive environment for learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Maryln Appelbaum.
- "A joint publication [with] ATi."
- 9781412970020 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412970024 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412970037 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412970032 (pbk. : alk. paper)