Having hard conversations
- Jennifer Abrams ; foreword by Arthur L. Costa.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 127 p. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1033.5 .A27 2009||Unknown|
- Abrams, Jennifer.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 123-124) and index.
- Foreword by Arthur L. Costa Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. What Are Hard Conversations and Why Should We Have Them? 2. Why We Hesitate Having Hard Conversations 3. Questions to Ask Yourself Before Having the Hard Conversation 4. What's the Real Problem?: Finding the Professional Language to Name It 5. Making a Plan 6. Scripting Your Initial Comments 7. The Whats, Wheres, and Whens of Having the Hard Conversation 8. What Ifs? Other Types of Hard Conversations 9. Conclusion Appendix A. Extended List of Professional Behaviors Appendix B. School Savvy Etiquette Appendix C. Sample Scripts for Hard Conversations References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A thousand things are unspoken in schools every day, and the lack of truth telling can bring about an ineffective status quo and result in our students not getting the education they deserve. For most educators, confronting colleagues with truths about ineffective practices or potentially harmful behavior can be extremely challenging. "Having Hard Conversations" is designed to teach adults to talk to one another about difficult issues. The author guides readers through a series of preparatory steps leading to the actual conversation and helps educators to: define the challenge; identify and map desired outcomes; prepare an advance script; and, consider external factors such as where and when the conversation should take place. Educators will gain a better understanding of the common reasons for not speaking out as well as the potential consequences of silence.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412964999 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412964997 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412965002 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412965004 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: