Shaping school culture : pitfalls, paradoxes, and promises
- Terrence E. Deal, Kent D. Peterson.
- 2nd ed.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 278 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2805 .D34 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 254-265) and index.
- Preface. Acknowledgments. The Authors. Introduction. The Elements of Culture. 1. Schools as Tribes: The Power to Transform. 2. Artifacts, Architecture, and Routines: Symbols of Culture. 3. History: The Value of Lore and Tradition. 4. Myth, Vision, and Values: Discovering a Schools Highest Calling. 5. Stories and Tales: Passing Along the Vision. 6. Rituals: Embedding Purpose and Meaning. 7. Ceremonies and Traditions: Culture in Action. 8. Conveyors of Culture: Positive and Negative Transmitters. The Symbolic Role of School Leaders. 9. Weaving the Cultural Tapestry: Seven Schools. 10. Transforming Toxic Cultures: Renewal Strategies. 11. Building Trust: Connecting to Parents and Communities. 12. Strengthening Culture: Eight Essential Roles. 13. Living with Paradox: The Bifocal Principal. 14. Achieving Balance: Meeting Cultural and Structural Demands. 15. Conclusion: Opportunities for the Future. References. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780787996796 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The previous edition of this book was notable for explaining how the values and beliefs of educators have a critical impact on school functioning. In this long-awaited new edition, authors focus on new and inspiring case examples from schools across the country to show how culture-based practices are being used to bring purpose, passion, and meaning to the educational experience. They also show how leaders play important symbolic roles in schools and how culture-based strategies can help educators manage everyday challenges and even serve to heal and transform 'toxic' school environments.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780787996796 20160528
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 2002.
- 9780787996796 (pbk.)
- 0787996793 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: