Third update on adult learning theory
- San Francisco, Calf. : Jossey-Bass, c2008.
- Physical description
- 103 p. ; 23 cm.
- New directions for adult and continuing education no. 119.
LC5225 .L42 T55 2008
- Unknown LC5225 .L42 T55 2008
- Merriam, Sharan B.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Transformative learning theory / Edward W. Taylor
- Workplace learning : emerging trends and new perspectives / Tara Fenwick
- Spirituality and adult learning / Elizabeth J. Tisdell
- Learning through the body / Tammy J. Freiler
- Teaching with the brain in mind / Kathleen Taylor, Annalee Lamoreaux
- Narrative learning in adulthood / M. Carolyn Clark, Marsha Rossiter
- Non-western perspectives on learning and knowing / Sharan B. Merriam, Young Sek Kim
- Troubling adult learning in the present time / Robert J. Hill
- Adult learning theory for the twenty-first century / Sharan B. Merriam.
- Publisher's Summary
- This "Third Update on Adult Learning Theory" follows two earlier volumes on the same topic, the first published in 1993 and the second in 2001. Only one topic, transformative learning theory, can be found in all three updates, representing the continuing developments in research and alternative theoretical conceptions of TL. Thanks to a growing body of research and theory-building, three topics briefly touched on in 2001 are now separate chapters in this third update: spirituality and adult learning; learning through the body; and narrative learning in adulthood. Also new in this update is a chapter on non-Western perspectives on learning and knowing. New developments in two other areas are also explored: understanding the connection between the brain and learning, and how modern and postmodern ways of knowing are converging and are bring expressed in social movements. The concluding chapter identifies two trends in adult learning theory for the twenty-first century: attention to context, and to the holistic nature of learning in adulthood. This is 119th volume of the Jossey-Bass quarterly report series "New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education". Noted for its depth of coverage, "New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education" is an indispensable series that explores issues of common interest to instructors, administrators, counselors, and policymakers in a broad range of adult and continuing education settings, such as colleges and universities, extension programs, businesses, libraries, and museums.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Sharan B. Merriam, editor.
- New directions for adult and continuing education ; no. 119
- "Fall 2008."
- "This sourcebook follows two previous editions on the same topic, the first published in 1993 and the second in 2001"--Editor's note.
- 0470417854 (pbk.)
- 9780470417850 (pbk.)