The curriculum bridge : from standards to actual classroom practice
- Pearl G. Solomon.
- 3rd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xv, 225 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB2806.15 .S65 2009
- Unknown LB2806.15 .S65 2009
- Solomon, Pearl G. (Pearl Gold), 1929-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 204-219) and index.
- Preface to the Third Edition Who Should Read This Book What This Book Is About Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Why Standards and Tests Are on the Front Page About This Chapter At the Top of the Political Agenda: Education Why the Focus on Standards and Tests? The No Child Left Behind Legislation Economic Influences and Some Words of Caution The Media Influence Opinions on Standards The Origins of the Current Wave of Public Concern Initial Responses of the Educational Community Government Calls for Reform Initial Responses to the Calls for Reform Standards in Other Countries A Summary: Systemic Change, Restructuring, and Reform Notes 2. Who Chooses the Curriculum? Are Standards and Tests Necessary? About This Chapter Some Charismatic Differences of Opinion The Public Concerns, Opinions, and Influences Teachers and Teacher Organizations Respond University Professors and Researchers Respond Forms of Curriculum Control Nongovernment Influences on Curriculum Getting Ready to Design Curriculum Notes 3. About How Learning Happens About This Chapter Educational Philosophy: Piaget and Constructivism Compromise The Changing Nature of the Concept of Intelligence Cognition, Metacognition, and Goals: Connections to Practice Interest Real Experiences and Technology in the Instructional Process Connecting Research to Practice: Summary Hypotheses Notes 4. Choosing Standards and ?Designing Them Down? About This Chapter The Curriculum Committee Meets A Bit of History Defining Standards in New Terms Curriculum Enactment 5. Constructing Creative Classrooms About This Chapter?Dealing With the Differences Organizing the Environment The Actors: The Performers and Their Director The Script: The Overall Plot Notes 6. How Are We Doing? Measuring Success About This Chapter Standards and Their Measures The Purposes of Measures or Assessments A History of Assessment Forms The Quality and Consequences of High-Stakes Assessments Improving HSSB Tests Where Should Meg, April, and Brad Begin? Challenge 1: Establishing Validity and Testing Reliability Challenge 2: Tasks or Performances Versus Concepts Challenge 3: Writing Rubrics Challenge 4: Disaggregating the Assessment Results Challenge 5: Levels of Performance, Grading Challenge 6: Sharing Results With Students, Parents, and the Community Notes 7. Where Do We Go From Here? About This Chapter Where Will the Leadership for Needed Change Come From? Professional Development for Teachers Using Technology and Its Networks for Sharing Curriculum and Research Technology for Communicating With Our Public Notes References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This third edition of the author's award-winning book about curriculum, content standards, teaching, and testing keeps a solid focus on today's critical issues of accountability and best classroom practices for teaching and learning. Topics covered include written curriculum and hidden curriculum; juggling stakeholder needs; educational planning and public policy; the impact of new technologies; what we now know about how learning takes place; classroom discourse and management; traditional, alternative, and high-stakes assessments; and, how best to plan and implement professional development and action research to ensure that today's reflective teachers succeed in meeting students' educational needs.The third edition provides an up-to-date picture of the education sub-culture in the context of its interactions with the greater cultures in which educators and students reside. This edition also examines the rapidly expanding body of findings of research in the areas of curriculum and learning, assessment, education-related neuroscience, and professional development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412969833 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412969832 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412969840 (paper : alk. paper)
- 1412969840 (paper : alk. paper)