Inspiring elementary learners : nurturing the whole child in a differentiated classroom
- Kryza, Kathleen.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 246 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
LB1029 .D55 K788 2009
- Unknown LB1029 .D55 K788 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 237) and index.
- List of Figures Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Growing Lifelong Learners 2. The Inspiring Classroom: Theory Into Practice 3. Building Community, Honoring Individuals 4. Apprenticeship Learning: Nurturing Lifelong Learners 5. Flexible Grouping 6. Teaching for Meaning 7. Instructional Elements to Differentiate 8. Deep and Dynamic Design #1: Choice Menus 9. Deep and Dynamic Design #2: RAFT Plus 10. Deep and Dynamic Design #3: Tiered Lessons 11. Deep and Dynamic Design #4: Contracts 12. Deep and Dynamic Design #5: Stations 13. Deep and Dynamic Design #6: Compacting 14. Assessment and Grading in the Inspiring Classroom 15. Learning to Grow an Inspiring Classroom 16. Reaping the Harvest: Creating an Inspiring Legacy Resources References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'One of the very few professional resources that I could not put down. I recommend this book to every teacher I work with, and I use it every day in my work with teachers and students' - Diane Fleming, Advanced Placement Coordinator Sioux City Community Schools, IA. 'This is differentiation at its best! This valuable resource provides the tools necessary to meet the wide range of student needs and abilities within a classroom. It will be a timeless resource that all educators will want on their desk' - Jeannie Donoghue, Professional Development Director Bureau of Education and Research.Inspire a love for learning through differentiated lessons and activities! Today's classrooms are more diverse than ever before, with students of many languages, cultures, backgrounds, abilities, and skills all in one room. This accessible resource illustrates how elementary teachers can use differentiated instructional techniques to nurture a love for learning in socially, culturally, and academically diverse learners. "Inspiring Elementary Learners" offers step-by-step instructions for creating a learning environment that engages all students, and provides creative strategies that can be easily implemented in the classroom.The authors include lesson examples and assessment rubrics across the core subject areas, showing how to cultivate a community of learners who honor themselves and each other. Based on current educational research on metacognitive strategies, learning styles, constructivist thinking, and choice theory, this handbook helps educators: design lessons to foster students' intrinsic motivation; teach for deep understanding while meeting content standards; and, create and implement differentiated strategies. This practical guide provides teachers with the tools they need to reach, teach, and inspire diverse student populations and cultivate an engaging classroom environment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Kathleen Kryza, Alicia Duncan, S. Joy Stephens.
- 9781412960649 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412960649 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412960656 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412960657 (pbk. : alk. paper)