What successful schools do to involve families : 55 partnership strategies
- Neal A. Glasgow, Paula Jameson Whitney.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xix, 190 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC225 .G57 2009||Unknown|
- Glasgow, Neal A.
- Whitney, Paula Jameson.
- National Association of Secondary School Principals (U.S.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Sheila E. Durkin Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. Parents, Families, Teachers, and Schools Appreciating and Supporting Each Other 2. Teachers, Students, Families, and Homework 3. Teachers, Students, Families, and Literacy 4. Teachers, Students, Families, and Mathematics 5. Teachers, Schools, Families, and the Special Education Student 6. Looking at the Roles of Non-Parental Caregivers in the Student's Life 7. Communicating With Families and Bridging the Gap Between School and Home 8. Working With Families and Especially Challenging Students 9. Working With Families From Nondominant Cultures 10. Families, Schools, and the Social Aspects of the Classroom 11. The Role of School Administrator: Increasing Student Achievement Through Parent Involvement Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412956048 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- It's clear that students learn best when they are supported by a community that values education and includes not only teachers but also parents, families, and other mentors. Yet schools often find it difficult to successfully involve parents and families in children's educational lives. Based on solid educational research that reflects culturally diverse communities, this important new book offers teachers and administrators 55 practical strategies for forming effective partnerships with every type of family group.The authors cover a wide range of opportunities for collaborating with families, from homework, parent conferences, and open houses to family literacy and math activities, to hot-button topics like bullying and discipline. Each strategy offers: a synthesis of the related research; a description of how to use the strategy in a classroom or broader school setting; precautions and pitfalls for consideration to help make implementation reasonably error free; and, research sources for optional follow-up.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412956048 20160528
- Publication date
- "A joint publication ... National Association of Secondary School Principals."
- 9781412956031 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 141295603X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781412956048 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412956048 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: