Developing performance-based assessments : grades K-5
- Nancy P. Gallavan.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press ; [Alexandria, Va.] : NAESP, c2009.
- Physical description
- xi, 219 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB3051 .G263 2009
- Unknown LB3051 .G263 2009
- Gallavan, Nancy P.
- National Association of Elementary School Principals (U.S.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 209-214) and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction 1. Examining the Many Purposes of Assessment Demystify Performance-Based Assessments Understand the Six Components of Assessment Picture the Continuous Flow of Assessment Know the Reasons for Selecting Your Assessments... Extend With Questions and Activities 2. Planning Assessments to Promote Understanding Use Formal and Informal Assessments Become a Data-Driven Teacher Understand Assessment Principles and Practices Watch for Common Errors in Assessing Visualize the Overall Process... Extend With Questions and Activities 3. Collecting Baseline Data for Preassessments Set Three Goals to Guide Your Preassessments Question Each of the Six Components of Assessment Keep Anecdotal Records Follow These Guidelines as You Preassess Realize That Assessment Is a Continuous Process... Extend With Questions and Activities 4. Aligning Appropriate Formative Assessments Consider the Six Components of Assessment Design Your Curriculum Align Assessments With Curriculum and Instruction Explore Cognition Via Patterns of Thought Plan With Competence and Confidence... Extend With Questions and Activities 5. Incorporating Learning, Assigning Instruction Followed by Feedback and Correction Assign Your Instruction and Activities Employ Multiple Instructional Strategies Consider These Assessment Recommendations Include All Kinds of Questions With Your Formative Assessments Optimize the Feedback Involve Your Learners in the Process Have Fun With Formative Assessments... Extend With Questions and Activities 6. Administering Summative Assessments Connect to the Goals and Components of Assessment Create Your Summative Assessments Prepare Learners for Summative Assessments Set Your Sights on the Five As Continue the Assessment Cycle... Extend With Questions and Activities 7. Identifying What to Assess: Inviting the Five Types of Inquiry and Information Introduce the Five Types of Inquiry Balance Three Conditions With Five Types of Inquiry Delve Into Responses Enhance Variety in Your Inquiries Include All Types of Thinking, Acting, and Feeling... Extend With Questions and Activities 8. Analyzing How to Assess: Applying the Five Forms of Appraisal and Authentication Analyze the Five Forms of Appraisal and Authentication Implement Assessments Purposefully Develop Appraisals to Showcase Learning... Extend With Questions and Activities 9. Creating Assessment Templates and Rubrics Construct the Assessment Template Build Rubrics Let Your Templates and Rubrics Do the Work for You... Extend With Questions and Activities 10. Conducting Evaluations and Accountability Evaluate Accomplishments Account for Progress Concentrate on Your Effectiveness Develop a Performance-Based Assessment Mindset... Extend With Questions and Activities References and Readings Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Use PBAs to design learning experiences that increase student engagement and achievement! This book explains performance-based assessments (PBAs) in easy-to-understand terms and describes how to construct PBAs that measure learner performance effectively while allowing educators to align curriculum and instruction with students' needs. Using PBAs, teachers can engage students in the learning process, connect the learning to students' individual lives, and monitor learning outcomes. The author provides: detailed and clear examples of performance-based assessments; tools for assessment and guidelines for creating and using rubrics; and, checklists, frequently asked questions, graphic organizers, and activities to reinforce the content in each chapter.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 1412966086 (cloth) : alk. paper)
- 9781412966085 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412966094 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412966092 (pbk. : alk. paper)