The arts of China
- Michael Sullivan.
- 5th ed., rev. and expanded.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- ix, 353 p. : ill. (some col.), maps ; 27 cm.
- CHEMENG-12SC-01 -- An Exploration of Art Materials: The Intersection of Art and
- Frank, Curtis W
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|N7340 .S92 2008||On reserve at Li and Ma Science Library 2-hour loan|
- Sullivan, Michael, 1916-2013
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 329-333) and index.
- Preface to the Fifth Edition ix Chronological Table of Dynasties and Modern Republics x Reign Periods of the Ming and Qing Dynasties xi 1 Before the Dawn of History 1 2 The Early Bronze Age: Shang andWestern Zhou 15 3 Eastern Zhou and the Period of theWarring States 45 4 The Qin and Han Dynasties 65 5 The Three Kingdoms and the Six Dynasties 99 6 The Sui and Tang Dynasties 131 7 The Five Dynasties and the Song Dynasty 161 8 The Yuan Dynasty 203 9 The Ming Dynasty 223 10 The Qing Dynasty 253 11 The Twentieth Century and Beyond 283 Notes 315 Books for Reference and Further Reading 325 List of Maps and Illustrations 331 Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520255685 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- For the fifth edition of his internationally renowned "The Arts of China", Michael Sullivan has thoroughly revised and expanded every chapter of this classic history of Chinese art from the Neolithic period to the present day. This new edition reflects the latest archaeological discoveries, pays greater attention to the art of calligraphy, provides more information on Chan (Zen) art, and takes a close look at contemporary art. New images have been added to almost every chapter: the work now features more than four hundred photographs, maps, and illustrations, with more than two-thirds of them in full color.Written in the engaging and lucid style that is Sullivan's hallmark, "The Arts of China" is readily accessible to general readers as well as serious students of art history. Sullivan's approach remains true to the way the Chinese themselves view art, providing readers with a sense of the sweep of history through China's dynasties. This organizational strategy makes it easy for readers to understand the distinct characteristics of each period of art and to gain a clearer view of how Chinese art has changed in relation to its historical context. With many improvements that bring it fully up to date, "The Arts of China" will remain the most comprehensive and widely read introduction to the history of Chinese art.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520255685 20160528
- Art, Chinese.
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 1999.
- "Ahmanson Murphy fine arts imprint"--Prelim.
- 9780520255685 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520255682 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520255692 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520255690 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: