Contemporary theories of learning : learning theorists-- in their own words
- edited by Knud Illeris.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- viii, 235 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1060 .C6558 2009||Unknown|
- Illeris, Knud.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. A Comprehensive Understanding of Human Learning, Knud Illeris 2. Learning to be a Person in Society: Learning to be Me, Peter Jarvis 3. What "Form" Transforms? A Constructive-Developmental Approach to Transformative Learning, Robert Kegan 4. Expansive Learning: Toward an Activity-Theoretical Reconceptualization, Yrjo Engestrom 5. Pragmatism: A Learning Theory for the Future, Bente Elkjaer 6. An Overview on Transformative Learning, Jack Mezirow 7. Multiple Approaches to Understanding, Howard Gardner 8. Biographical Learning -- within the New Lifelong Learning Discourse, Peter Alheit 9. Life Cycles and Learning Cycles, John Heron 10. Adult Education as a Technology of the Self, Mark Tennant 11. Culture, Mind, and Education, Jerome Bruner 12. Experience in Adult Learning, Robin Usher 13. "Normal Learning Problems" in Youth -- in the Context of Underlying Cultural Convictions, Thomas Ziehe 14. The Practice of Learning, Jean Lave 15. A Social Theory of Learning, Etienne Wenger 16. Transitional Learning and Reflexive Facilitation: The Case of learning for Work, Danny Wildemeersch & Veerle Stroobants.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415473446 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- In this definitive collection of today's most influential learning theorists, sixteen world-renowned experts present their understanding of what learning is and how human learning takes place. Professor Knud Illeris has collected chapters that explain both the complex frameworks in which learning takes place and the specific facets of learning, such as the acquisition of learning content, personal development, and the cultural and social nature of learning processes. Each international expert provides either a seminal text or an entirely new precis of the conceptual framework they have developed over a lifetime of study.Elucidating the key concepts of learning, "Contemporary Theories of Learning" provides both the perfect desk reference and an ideal introduction for students. It will prove an authoritative guide for researchers and academics involved in the study of learning, and an invaluable resource for all those dealing with learning in daily life and work. It provides a detailed synthesis of current learning theories! all in the words of the theorists themselves. The theories of Knud Illeris, Peter Jarvis, Robert Kegan, Yrjo Engestrom, Bente Elkjaer, Jack Mezirow, Howard Gardner, Peter Alheit, John Heron, Mark Tennant, Jerome Bruner, Robin Usher, Thomas Ziehe, Jean Lave, Etienne Wenger, Danny Wildemeersch & Veerle Stroobants in their own words.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415473446 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780415473439 (hbk.)
- 0415473438 (hbk.)
- 9780415473446 (pbk.)
- 0415473446 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: