The city [videorecording]
- American Institute of Planning through Civic Films, Inc. presents ; produced by American Documentary Films, Inc. ; directed and photographed by Ralph Steiner, Willard Van Dyke ; original outline Pare Lorentz ; scenario, Henwar Rodakiewicz.
- Uniform Title
- City (Motion picture : 1939)
- [Canada ] : Naxos, c2009.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (44 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (7 p. ; 19 cm.)
- FILMSTUD-115/315-01 -- Documentary Issues and Traditions
- Krawitz, Jan
At the library
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
Media & Microtext Center
Ask at Media Microtext desk
Library has: 1 videodisc + 1 booklet
- Steiner, Ralph, 1899-1986.
- Van Dyke, Willard.
- Mumford, Lewis, 1895-1990.
- Carnovsky, Morris.
- Copland, Aaron, 1900-1990.
- Lorentz, Pare.
- Rodakiewicz, Henwar.
- Lawrence, Theodore.
- Guinan, Francis, 1951-
- Gil-Ordóñez, Angel.
- American Institute of Planners.
- Civic Films.
- American Documentary Films.
- Originally shown at the 1939 World's Fair, this classic show comments on four types of cities: New England town, the unplanned industrial community, a crowded metropolis and the decentralized community.
- Publication date
- Soundtrack recreated by Post-classical Ensemble; Angel Gil-Ordóñez, music director; Joseph Horowitz, artistic director.
- Special features: The city with the original soundrack featuring Morris Carnowsky (narrator) and an orchestra conducted by Max Goberman; Which playground for you child: greenbelt or Gutter (2000, 15 min.); George Stoney in conversation with Joseph Horowitz (2007, 29 min.).
- Production Credits
- Editor, Theodore Lawrence ; commentary, Lewis Mumford ; music, Aaron Copland.
- Narrator: Francis Guinan (new version).
- DVD (NTSC); Dobly digital, Dolby stereo, Dolby surround or DTS surround
- Included Work
- Which playground for your child.
- George Stoney in conversation with Joseph Horowitz.
Browse related items
Start at call number: