The new Americans [videorecording]
- Kartemquin Films.
- Uniform Title
- New Americans (Television program). Spanish & English.
- English, Spanish. In English or Spanish; closed-captioned
- [United States] : Kartemquin Educational Films, 
- Physical description
- 2 videodiscs (411 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Follows four years of the lives of a group of contemporary immigrants as they journey to start new lives in America, including a couple from India in Silicon Valley, a Mexican meatpacker in rural Kansas, two families of Nigerian refugees, two baseball players from the Dominican Republic joining the L.A. Dodgers, and a newly-wed Palestinian woman in Chicago. The detailed portraits of these immigrants not only result in a kaleidoscope of immigrant life but offer 'first impressions' of America
- United States > Emigration and immigration.
- Dominicans (Dominican Republic) > Cultural assimilation > United States.
- Nigerians > Cultural assimilation > United States.
- Palestinian Arabs > Cultural assimilation > United States.
- East Indians > Cultural assimilation > United States.
- Mexicans > Cultural assimilation > United States.
- Publication date
- Special features: Additional scenes; Where are they now? slideshow.
- Production Credits
- Directors (Dominican story), Susana Aikin, Carlos Aparicio; directors (Palestinian story), Jerry Blumental, Gordon Quinn; director (Nigerian story), Steve James; editors, David E. Simpson, Steve James; series producer, Gita Saedi; executive producers, Steve James, Gordon Quinn; presented by Independent Television Service.
- Narrator, Ismail Bashey.
- Originally broadcast as an episode of Independent Lens, Mar. 29, 2004.
- DVD (NTSC), widescreen.
- Related Work
- Independent lens (Television program)
- Publisher Number
- DV97605 Kartemquin Educational Films
- K0901 KTQ Films
Browse related items
Start at call number: