The Patriot Act : a documentary and reference guide
- Foerstel, Herbert N.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xix, 233 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 230-233) and index.
- The Library Awareness Program : precursor to the USA PATRIOT Act
- The legislative response to 9/11 : conceived under siege, passed in haste
- The USA PATRIOT Act : the bill that defined America's domestic war on terrorism
- Domestic surveillance under the Patriot Act
- Detention, deportation, exclusion, and expropriation
- Congressional oversight of the Patriot Act
- Amendments and legal challenges to the Patriot Act
- Reauthorization and beyond : the new and improved patriot act.
- Publisher's Summary
- This easy-to-use core reference work takes on perhaps the biggest issue in the U.S. today: freedom of speech during the 'War on Terror'. The Patriot Act is one of the longest, broadest, most sweeping pieces of legislation in American history. It introduced a vast edifice of domestic surveillance that has defined the post-9/11 world. But the legislation itself is so dense and technical that both supporters and critics have been free to interpret it loosely and in partisan fashion.Supporters of the Patriot Act believe that 9/11 irreversibly changed American politics and law enforcement, forcing every citizen to cede some traditional civil liberties in order to protect the nation from terrorism. Critics respond that many provisions of the Patriot Act were simply resurrected from old FBI wish lists, having no relevance to the war on terror and providing little security in exchange for precious liberties. This book will not silence the raging debate over the Patriot Act, but by presenting relevant source documents, analysed and placed in context, it may provide a more reliable basis for the ongoing debate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- United States. Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT ACT) Act of 2001.
- Terrorism > Prevention > Law and legislation > United States.
- Terrorism > United States > Prevention.
- Library surveillance > United States.
- Intelligence service > United States.
- Publication date
- Herbert N. Foerstel ; foreword by Sanford Berman.
- 9780313341427 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0313341427 (hbk. : alk. paper)