Our White House : looking in, looking out
- created by 108 renowned authors and illustrators and The National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance ; with an introduction by David McCullough.
- 1st ed.
- Cambridge, Mass. : Candlewick Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xiii, 241 p. : col. ill. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|F204 .W5 O986 2008||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 231) and index.
- Introduction / by David McCullough
- Looking in, looking out / by Gregory Maguire. Part I: From the foundation up / illustration by Bagram Ibatoulline
- The White House first residents / by Jane Yolen ; illustrated by Petra Mathers
- Testimony of Padraig Tomás Ó 'Deoráin: 1801 / imagined and illustrated by Mary Brigid Barrett
- Slaves helped build the White House! / by Walter Dean Myers
- Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826 / by Milton Meltzer
- White House colonial kitchen gardens / by Stephanie Loer ; illustrated by S.D. Schindler
- Jefferson's monstrous bones / by Barbara Kerley
- Bones on the floor / illustrated by Brian Selznick
- An unusual guest / by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel
- The capital city in 1800 / illustrated by Mike Reagan.
- Part II: Struggling to stand / illustration by Wendell Minor
- The White House prepares for war: 1812 / by Ralph Ketcham
- The burning of the White House / by Susan Cooper
- Dolley Madison rescues George Washington / written and illustrated by Don Brown
- The first White House memoir: 1865 / by Paul Jennings ; illustrated by R. Gregory Christie
- Another all-American girl / by Meg Cabot
- From the walls of the White House / by Kathleen Krull ; illustrated by Robert Byrd
- Visiting the Great Father / by Joseph Bruchac ; illustrated by Max Grafe
- Sneaking into Adams field / by Michael Winerip
- Andy and me / by Marguerite W. Davol ; illustrated by Tom Pohrt
- The White House cow / by Richard Peck ; illustrated by Barry Root.
- Part III: annexation and division / illustration by Timothy Basil Ering
- From American notes / by Charles Dickens ; illustrated by Claire Nivola
- On looking into dresses worn by the "First Ladies" of the White House (paper doll cut-outs), 1938 / by Nancy Willard ; illustrated with original book cover and paper dolls by Maybelle Mercer
- Elizabeth Keckly: seamstress to First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln, 1861-1865 / by Patricia C. and Fredrick L. McKissack ; illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon
- High spirits in the Lincoln White House / by Russell Freedman
- Mary Todd Lincoln speaks of her son's death, 1862 / by Paul B. Janeczko
- Memoir by Mary Henry: eyewitness to the Civil War in the city of Washington
- In early April / by Kate DiCamillo ; illustrated by Chris Sheban.
- Part IV: One lamp lights another / illustration by Nancy Carpenter
- Mrs. Cleveland, White House bride / by Jennifer Armstrong
- Seven from Ohio (for some reason) / written and illustrated by Natalie Babbitt
- The eyes and ears of the public / by Katherine Paterson ; illustrated by Andréa Wesson
- Theodore Roosevelt's letters to his children / by Leonard S. Marcus
- TR's family & friends / illustration by Chris Van Dusen
- Storming down the stairs / by Albert Marrin
- Executive order for nature / by Jean Craighead George
- America's wilderness / illustration by David Slonim
- William Howard Taft: president, 1909-1913 / by Virginia Euwer Wolff ; illustrated by Kevin Hawkes.
- Part V: With courage and determination / illustration by Emily Arnold McCully
- Eyewitness to history / by Stephanie S. Tolan
- Woodrow Wilson's work without end / by Jeannine Atkins ; illustrated by Jerry Pinkney
- Hoover's one term / written and illustrated by Matt Phelan
- A rainmaker in the White House / by Michael Cooper
- Portrait of FDR / illustration by Barry Moser
- The four freedoms: from Franklin D. Roosevelt's address to Congress, January 6, 1941
- Freedom of speech / illustration by Calef Brown
- Freedom to worship / illustration by Peter Sís
- Freedom from want / illustration by Ed Young
- Freedom from fear / illustration by Stephen Alcorn
- Hands / by Patricia MacLachlan ; illustrated by P.J. Lynch
- A perfect image / by Linda Sue Park ; illustrated by Stéphane Jorisch
- A note for the president / by Jerry Spinelli ; illustrated by Terry Widener
- The house haunts / by M.T. Anderson ; illustrated by Mark Teague
- A prayer for peace: from Dwight D. Eisenhower's farewell address to the nation
- Good nights / by Lee Bennett Hopkins ; illustrated by William Low.
- Part VI: The people's house / illustration by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher
- The Kennedy White House / by Barbara Harrison
- The White House, the moon, and a coal miner's son / by Homer Hickam ; illustrated by Joe Cepeda
- A White House physician / by James Young, M.D.
- A white mouse in the White House / by Anita Silvey
- Escape map / by Mark London Williams
- The presidential pet / written and illustrated by Stephen Kellogg
- My room / by Lynda Johnson Robb ; illustrated by Jane Dyer
- White House souvenir / by Polly Horvath ; illustrated by Sophie Blackall
- Robert F. Kennedy's remarks on the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Black White House/white black house / illustration by Chris Raschka
- Watergate White House / illustration by Tony Auth
- President Richard M. Nixon's final remarks to the White House staff
- President Nixon's letter of resignation.
- Part VII: The great house endures / illustration by Roxie Munro
- From Christmas in Plains: memories / by Jimmie Carter ; illustrated by Don Powers
- The White House / by Jon Sciesczka ; illustrated by Tony Fucile
- Ronald Reagan / photograph by Diana Walker
- From Ronald Reagan's farewell address to the nation
- Letter to George, Jeb, Neil, Marvin, and Doro Bush from George H.W. Bush
- George H.W. Bush / photograph by Diane Walker
- The Secret Service / by Jess M. Brallier ; illustrated by David Small
- I live in the White House / by Jack Prelutsky ; illustrated by Jim LaMarche
- From Meet the press with Tim Russert: Interview with Vice President Dick Cheney, September 16, 2001
- FromThe 9/11 Commission report
- Visiting the White House / by Sarah Stewart
- Backstairs at the White House / illustrations by David Small
- The green house / by Megan McDonald
- The first pitch / by Stephanie True Peters ; illustrated by Matt Tavares
- Wanted: magnanimous, exquisite woman! / by Gigi Amateau
- Mrs. Bush inspires a National Book Festival / by John Y. Cole ; poster by Carol Dyer
- 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.: who's in the White House? / created by Bob Kolar
- The White House by moonlight / by Walt Whitman ; illustrated by James Ransome
- Letter from the NCBLA
- Notes on sources used by the authors
- Copyright acknowledgments and credits for public domain materials
- Contributors to Our White House
- The White House Easter Egg Roll, 2003 / painting by Eric Carle
- A big chair to fill / illustration by Leonid Gore.
- More than one hundred leading authors and illustrators donate their talents to a collection of essays, personal accounts, historical fiction, and poetry which looks at America's history through the prism of the White House.
- White House (Washington, D.C.) > Juvenile literature.
- Washington (D.C.) > Buildings, structures, etc. > Juvenile literature.
- Presidents > United States > Juvenile literature.
- White House (Washington, D.C.) > History.
- Washington (D.C.) > Buildings, structures, etc.
- United States > Politics and government.
- Local subject
- School Library Journal Best Books 2008
- Publication date
- 9780763620677 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 076362067X (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: