Bright beginnings for boys : engaging young boys in active literacy
- Zambo, Debby.
- Newark, DE : International Reading Association, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 178 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1139.5 .R43 Z36 2009
- Unknown LB1139.5 .R43 Z36 2009
- Brozo, William G.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 159-172) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Motivate your grade K-3 boy students by incorporating picture books with characters who demonstrate positive values and using strategies targeted to boys' unique learning needs. Elementary educator Debby Zambo teams with William G. Brozo, author of the bestselling "To Be a Boy, To Be a Reader: Engaging Pre-Teen and Adolescent Boys in Active Literacy", to bring you this essential resource on getting young boys hooked on reading at an early age. You'll learn how boys develop cognitively and emotionally, find ways to structure your classroom to meet the boys' needs, and discover ideas for using books to capture the attention and interests of boys. In addition, you'll find ideas for getting family and community members involved in boys' literacy development. Additional resources include "Learning From a Character" segments that give suggestions of books with positive values you can use to get boys excited about reading. It features 'About a Boy' vignettes that give voice to real-life young male readers; and an extensive appendix of engaging picture books specifically for boys, organized by the positive values the books demonstrate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Debby Zambo, William G. Brozo.
- 9780872076839 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0872076830 (hbk. : alk. paper)