Culturally responsive literacy instruction
- Bob Algozzine, Dorothy J. O'Shea, Festus E. Obiakor, editors.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xii, 193 p. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1576 .C853 2009
- Unknown LB1576 .C853 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 170-180) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Teaching Children to Read - Bob Algozzine, Festus E. Obiakor, Ellissa Brooks Nelson, Jeffery P. Bakken 2. Improving Phonological Processing - Dorothy J. O'Shea, Jodi Katsafanas 3. Improving Decoding and Structural Analysis Skills - Dorothy J. O'Shea, Jodi Katsafanas, Kelly Holloway 4. Improving Fluency - Michelle McCollins, Dorothy J. O'Shea 5. Improving Vocabulary - Shobana Musti-Rao, Renee O. Hawkins, Gwendolyn Cartledge, Cheryl Utley 6. Improving Comprehension - Jeffery P. Bakken 7. Culturally Responsive Literacy Instruction for All - Festus E. Obiakor, Darren J. Smith Appendixes References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- While reading skills are necessary for life-long learning and success, many students experience reading difficulties and a disproportionate number are from culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) backgrounds. Since students of CLD backgrounds sometimes miss basic literacy skills in the early grades, instruction in foundational literacy skills is critical. This resource illustrates how teachers can improve reading achievement for students of CLD backgrounds by combining research-supported best practices with instruction that is culturally responsive. Readers will find a range of interventions correlated with the five critical areas of reading instruction based on the National Reading Panel Report. Written by experts in the areas of cultural diversity and/or literacy, this book presents classroom techniques and learning strategies for working effectively with students from CLD backgrounds at all grade levels, from primary through to secondary school.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 1412957737 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412957731 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412957745 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412957748 (pbk. : alk. paper)