Liberating voices : a pattern language for communication revolution
- Douglas Schuler.
- Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- xiv, 604 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Schuler, Douglas.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -584) and indexes.
- Publisher's Summary
- In recent decades we have witnessed the creation of a communication system that promises unparalleled connectedness. And yet the optimistic dreams of Internet-enabled engagement and empowerment have faded in the face of widespread Internet commercialization. In "Liberating Voices", Douglas Schuler urges us to unleash our collective creativity - social as well as technological - and develop the communication systems that are truly needed.Inspired by the vision and framework outlined in Christopher Alexander's classic 1977 book, "A Pattern Language", Schuler presents a pattern language containing 136 patterns designed to meet these challenges. Using this approach, Schuler proposes a new model of social change that integrates theory and practice by showing how information and communication (whether face-to-face, broadcast, or Internet-based) can be used to address urgent social and environmental problems collaboratively.Each of the patterns that form the pattern language (which was developed collaboratively with nearly 100 contributors) is presented consistently; each describes a problem and its context, a discussion, and a solution. The pattern language begins with the most general patterns ("Theory") and proceeds to the most specific ("Tactics"). Each pattern is a template for research as well as action and is linked to other patterns, thus forming a single coherent whole. Readers will find "Liberating Voices" an intriguing and informative catalog of contemporary intellectual, social, and technological innovations, a practical manual for citizen activism, and a compelling manifesto for creating a more intelligent, sustainable, and equitable world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780262693660 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780262195799 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0262195798 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780262693660 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0262693666 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: