Young Mr. Lincoln [videorecording]
- Twentieth Century Fox presents Darryl F. Zanuck's production of ; a Cosmopolitan production ; directed by John Ford ; original screen play by Lamar Trotti.
- English. Closed-captioned.
- Beverly Hills, Calif. : Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, c2007.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (100 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Criterion collection (DVD videodiscs)
- Ford at Fox collection.
- "Right in the heart"
- "Like my folks"
- Sixth commandment
- Jack Cass
- "Moon bright"
- "The crowd's waiting"
- Top of the hill.
- In this unforgettable portrait of the early life of the Great Emancipator, young Mr. Lincoln, after teaching himself law, has barely started practicing when an Independence Day celebration ends with a stabbing. Abe first stops a lynch mob from killing brothers Matt and Adam Clay, and then defends them against a seasoned prosecutor and his crafty adviser. As presented here, Lincoln is a strong but peaceful frontier democrat, his quiet, awkward, folksy demeanor the outward manifestation of a deep humility, and a wise sadness at human folly. His awareness that his attempts to reconcile opposing forces--despite the occasional temporary victory--are doomed but necessary, hint at the character that will respond to the destiny that awaits him.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Title on set box: Ford at Fox
- The Ford at Fox collection
- Criterion collection
- Videodisc release of a 1939 motion picture.
- For specific features see interactive menu.
- On disc label: disc one: the film.
- Production Credits
- Photography, Bert Glennon ; film editor, Walter Thompson ; music, Alfred Newman.
- Henry Fonda, Alice Brady, Marjorie Weaver, Arleen Whelan, Eddie Collins, Pauline Moore, Richard Cromwell, Donald Meek, Judith Dickens, Eddie Quillan, Spencer Charters, Ward Bond.
- MPAA rating: Not rated.
- DVD, full frame, 1.33:1.
- Publisher Number
- CC1617D Criterion Collection
Browse related items
Start at call number: