Bose-Einstein condensation in dilute gases
- C.J. Pethick, H. Smith.
- 2nd ed.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xiv, 569 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|QC175.47 .B65 P48 2008||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface-- 1. Introduction-- 2. The non-interacting Bose gas-- 3. Atomic properties-- 4. Trapping and cooling of atoms-- 5. Interactions between atoms-- 6. Theory of the condensed state-- 7. Dynamics of the condensate-- 8. Microscopic theory of the Bose gas-- 9. Rotating condensates-- 10. Superfluidity-- 11. Trapped clouds at non-zero temperature-- 12. Mixtures and spinor condensates-- 13. Interference and correlations-- 14. Optical lattices-- 15. Lower dimensions-- 16. Fermions-- 17. From atoms to molecules-- Appendix-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521846516 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Since an atomic Bose-Einstein condensate, predicted by Einstein in 1925, was first produced in the laboratory in 1995, the study of ultracold Bose and Fermi gases has become one of the most active areas in contemporary physics. This book explains phenomena in ultracold gases from basic principles, without assuming a detailed knowledge of atomic, condensed matter, and nuclear physics. This new edition has been revised and updated, and includes new chapters on optical lattices, low dimensions, and strongly-interacting Fermi systems. This book provides a unified introduction to the physics of ultracold atomic Bose and Fermi gases for advanced undergraduate and graduate students, as well as experimentalists and theorists. Chapters cover the statistical physics of trapped gases, atomic properties, cooling and trapping atoms, interatomic interactions, structure of trapped condensates, collective modes, rotating condensates, superfluidity, interference phenomena, and trapped Fermi gases. Problems are included at the end of each chapter.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521846516 20160528
- Bose-Einstein condensation.
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 2001.
- 052184651X (cloth)
- 9780521846516 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: