Black Greek-letter organizations in the twenty-first century : our fight has just begun
- edited by Gregory S. Parks.
- Lexington, Ky. : University Press of Kentucky, c2008.
- Physical description
- xviii, 490 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LJ34 .B58 2008
- Unknown LJ34 .B58 2008
- Parks, Gregory, 1974-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : toward a critical scholarship / Gregory S. Parks
- The first and finest : the founders of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity / Stefan Bradley
- The vision of virtuous women : the twenty pearls of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority / Stephanie Y. Evans
- The last shall be first : the founders of Omega Psi Phi fraternity / Judson L. Jeffries
- Women of vision, catalysts for change : the founders of Delta Sigma Theta sorority / Jessica Harris
- Constitutionally bound : the founders of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity and Zeta Phi Beta sorority / Matthew W. Hughey
- The pride of all our hearts : the founders of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity / Michael E. Jennings
- Seven schoolteachers challenge the Klan : the founders of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority / Bernadette Pruitt, Caryn E. Neumann, and Katrina Hamilton
- A narrative critique of black Greek-letter organizations and social action / Jessica Harris and Vernon C. Mitchell, Jr.
- Black feminist thought in black sororities / Caryn E. Neumann
- Giving and getting: philanthropic activity among black Greek-letter organizations / Marybeth Gasman, Patricia Louison, and Mark Barnes
- Strategic essentialism and black Greek identity in the postmodern era / Cynthia Lynne Shelton
- "I've got all my sisters with me" : black women's organizations in the twenty-first century / Shirley A. Jackson
- Sisterhood beyond the ivory tower : an exploration of black sorority alumnae membership / Marcia D. Hernandez
- Exploring black Greek-letter organizations through a positive organizing lens / Laura Morgan Roberts and Lynn Perry Wooten
- Not on my line : attitudes about homosexuality in black fraternities / Alan D. DeSantis and Marcus Coleman
- "I did it for the brotherhood" : nonblack members in black Greek-letter organizations / Matthew W. Hughey
- Eating disorders within African American sororities / Tamika C. Zapolski and Gregory T. Smith
- Modern fraternities, ancient origins / Charles S. Finch III
- "'Cuz I'm young and I'm black and my hat's real low?" : a critique of black Greeks as "educated gangs" / Matthew W. Hughey
- Black and white Greeks : a call for collaboration / Edward G. Whipple, Martin Crichlow, and Sally Click
- Advising black Greek-letter organizations: a student development approach / Ralph Johnson ... [et al.].
- Publisher's Summary
- For much of the twentieth century, black Greek-letter organizations (BGLOs) united individuals dedicated to excellence, fostering kinship ties, and uplifting African Americans. Despite the profound influence of BGLOs, many now question the continuing relevance of these groups, arguing that their golden age has passed. Partly because of the influence of hip-hop culture, the image of BGLOs has been unfairly reduced to a stereotype - a world of hazing and stepping without any real substance. Not only does the general public know very little about these groups, but often the members themselves do not have a deep understanding of their history and culture or of the issues facing their organizations.Gregory S. Parks has assembled an impressive group of contributors to show that the BGLOs' most important work lies ahead. "Black Greek-letter Organizations in the Twenty-first Century: Our Fight Has Just Begun" provides historical context for the development of BGLOs and explores their service activities as well as their relationships with other prominent African American institutions. The book examines BGLOs' responses to a number of contemporary issues, including non-black membership, homosexuality within membership, and the perception of BGLOs as educated gangs, in order to demonstrate that these organizations can create a positive and enduring future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780813124919 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0813124913 (hbk. : alk. paper)