Introduction to quantum effects in gravity
- Viatcheslav Mukhanov, Sergei Winitzki.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Physical description
- x, 273 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|QC174.45 .M85 2007||Unknown|
- Preface-- Part I. Canonical Quantization and Particle Production: 1. Overview: a taste of quantum fields-- 2. Reminder: Classical and quantum theory-- 3. Driven harmonic oscillator-- 4. From harmonic oscillators to fields-- 5. Reminder: Classical fields-- 6. Quantum fields in expanding universe-- 7. Quantum fields in the de Sitter universe-- 8. Unruh effect-- 9. Hawking effect. Thermodynamics of black holes-- 10. The Casimir effect-- Part II. Path Integrals and Vacuum Polarization: 11. Path integrals-- 12. Effective action-- 13. Calculation of heat kernel-- 14. Results from effective action-- Appendices-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521868341 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This is the first introductory textbook on quantum field theory in gravitational backgrounds intended for undergraduate and beginning graduate students in the fields of theoretical astrophysics, cosmology, particle physics, and string theory. The book covers the basic (but essential) material of quantization of fields in an expanding universe and quantum fluctuations in inflationary spacetime. It also contains a detailed explanation of the Casimir, Unruh, and Hawking effects, and introduces the method of effective action used for calculating the back-reaction of quantum systems on a classical external gravitational field. The broad scope of the material covered will provide the reader with a thorough perspective of the subject. Every major result is derived from first principles and thoroughly explained. The book is self-contained and assumes only a basic knowledge of general relativity. Exercises with detailed solutions are provided throughout the book.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521868341 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 9780521868341 (hbk.)
- 0521868343 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: